Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: longarm quilter trimmed to close to edge; question re: binding

The woman who just finished one of my quilts trimmed it too close to the edge of the quilt. She did a wonderful job quilting, I'm not complaining, I just want to know what I can do now to "fill out" the binding when I attach it. There isn't enough batting to do the job. I had thought about just making the binding much wider, and then folding it a few times-would that work? Any other suggestions?
    Thanks

JJs
    Banned
    I always trim to the edge - so don't understand what you are saying. I make a 2.5 inch strip, fold in half and press, stich on the topside, right sides together then bring to the back folded in half and hand stitch on back....

I have never had batting in the binding..

Blog Entries
    I'd like to see a picture of the edge you are talking about.
    As a longarmer, I never trimmed the customer's quilt. I left that for them to do.
    Unless I was commissioned to do it, or to even finish the binding process as well as the quilting.
    Anyway, let us see a picture of it if you can.

One thing you could do is cut narrow strips of batting and "couch" the batting strips along within the binding as you apply.

Quote Originally Posted by JJs
    I always trim to the edge - so don't understand what you are saying. I make a 2.5 inch strip, fold in half and press, stich on the topside, right sides together then bring to the back folded in half and hand stitch on back....

I have never had batting in the binding..
    Ditto.

A "full" binding does look better on SOME quilts. My bindings do vary in width.

This is my first thought. Cotton/poly blend batting cuts beautifully into strips. Can you sew on a strip of that along with the first stitching of binding, than fold over to the back and stitch down. You would have to experiment with how much batting to use.

Blog Entries
    I think you could just sew a strip of binding along the edge and use that to "fill" in a regular binding strip. For me, that would be easier than trying to multi-fold the binding.

I like my quilts with a little extra batting, too. When I trim quilts for customers, I ask how close they want it trimmed.

There are a couple of things you can do.
    1) make a filler piece of batting to go into the binding or 2) make your binding a little narrower, say 2-1/4" wide. Your binding should then wrap around and end up right on the seam line.

Could you move your binding in a little from the edge? Instead of raw edges even, just back it in a bit.

I usually trim my quilt making sure that the sides are straight and then insert a 1/2 inch strip of batting inside the binding before folding it over to the backside. It makes it look full and not flat.

I like mine full too. I trim my own though so I can leave some batting around the edge. I like the idea of sewing a thin strip of batting when you attach the first edge. It would give you that full effect.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast