Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Longarm quilters - I looking for suggestions >

Longarm quilters - I looking for suggestions

Longarm quilters - I looking for suggestions

Old 02-05-2011, 05:36 PM

What books, DVDs, websites, blogs, etc. would you suggest for someone just learning to longarm quilt.
Old 02-05-2011, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by beateannkeith
What books, DVDs, websites, blogs, etc. would you suggest for someone just learning to longarm quilt.
I just got a longarm in December and my Dealer lives 2 1/2 hours away so I didn't get lessons from her. Shortly after that, I saw some suggestions on here for a couple DVD's and I looked them up and ordered them. They are: "Machine Quilters for Beginners" by Kim Brunner and "Just Do It--Freehand Design" by Myrna Ficken. They are both fairly long DVDs and both very different. Kim's is about getting the qult loaded perfectly, getting it square on the frame, and basting the edges, and some quilting tips. Myrna's is more on actual freehand quilting. I have done free motion quilting on my sewing machine but this is the first longarm I have owned and have never longarmed before so I was a complete rookie. I found both of these DVDs well worth the money and highly recommend them both. I also went on YouTube and watched a couple on "how to load a quilt" but everyone does it just a but different. But it still helped. Hope this helps.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:41 PM

Thank you for posting this I too have been wondering what to use for help!

Originally Posted by aborning
Originally Posted by beateannkeith
I just got a longarm in December and my Dealer lives 2 1/2 hours away so I didn't get lessons from her. Shortly after that, I saw some suggestions on here for a couple DVD's and I looked them up and ordered them. They are: "Machine Quilters for Beginners" by Kim Brunner and "Just Do It--Freehand Design" by Myrna Ficken. They are both fairly long DVDs and both very different. Kim's is about getting the qult loaded perfectly, getting it square on the frame, and basting the edges, and some quilting tips. Myrna's is more on actual freehand quilting. I have done free motion quilting on my sewing machine but this is the first longarm I have owned and have never longarmed before so I was a complete rookie. I found both of these DVDs well worth the money and highly recommend them both. I also went on YouTube and watched a couple on "how to load a quilt" but everyone does it just a but different. But it still helped. Hope this helps.
Old 02-06-2011, 03:28 AM
Power Poster

there is a 'trade magazine' to pick up for lots of information, advice, inspiration and resources...it is called "Machine Quilting Unlimited"
also there are books of continuous line quilting patterns--a few i own...
"show me how to create Quilting Designs-by Kathy Sandbach"
"add-a-line Continuous quilting Patterns by Janie Donaldson"
"follow-the-line quilting designs by Mary Covey"
and last but far from least...the one every long-armer should have...
"LONG-ARM MACHINE QUILTING The complete guide to choosing, using, and maintaining a long-arm machine By Carol A. Thelen" available from "That Patchwork Place"
i still 10 years later pull this book out on a fairly regular basis...it covers EVERYTHING!
Old 02-06-2011, 04:53 AM

I have the Ultimate Guide to Longarm Machine Quilting and I have to say that I found it not as ultimate as I would have liked. :(
I am curious to see what others suggest.

I'm thinking about getting a subscription to the Sharon Schambler network which I believe is having issues right now - I think that's the site that had a server crash if I remember fight - or purchasing some of the Longarm University classes...

Speaking of LU.. here is a link to their free classes :)
http://www.longarmuniversity.com/Boo...ting_Class.htm

There is also a *free* class on a Bygone Quilt - the pattern is $8 which isn't bad and you can also get dvds of the class for $10 which is actually better for me since I do not have internet in my craft room - I need to fix that...
Old 02-06-2011, 05:17 AM

Sharon S. Is fun to watch. I have been watching youtube a lot. My LA will be here in a couple weeks.
Old 02-06-2011, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
and last but far from least...the one every long-armer should have...
"LONG-ARM MACHINE QUILTING The complete guide to choosing, using, and maintaining a long-arm machine By Carol A. Thelen" available from "That Patchwork Place"
i still 10 years later pull this book out on a fairly regular basis...it covers EVERYTHING!
Do you have the url for That Patchwork Place. Maybe it is on the book?
Old 02-06-2011, 09:09 AM

Oh Thank You SEW much for this post; I've had my machine for a few weeks now but am running into to technical issues. My dealer doesn't have a machine set up in her shop so NO opportunity for classes.

I've watched a few videos on YouTube but they dealt with putting the frame together and setting up the computer module. I've bookmarked LU and think I will be spending lots of time there. I'm also going to see if my library has any of the books listed here.

I have no problem with running the computer module but the FMQ will take practice (lots and lots of it!). Meanwhile I have four tops and two wallhangings just waiting for that finishing touch.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:44 PM

When I got my first LA machine, I got Mindy Caspersen's "I've got a longarm (and I'm not afraid to us it). It was very helpful. Also the Longarm University website has some good tips. There is a ton of stuff on YouTube also. Have fun!