Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Longarm Quilters >

Longarm Quilters

Longarm Quilters

Old 07-30-2011, 07:56 AM

Would someone, or any and all longarm quilters, please share the following info with me? What is the going rate to have a quilt done on a longarm? Dose the price incl/ batting, thread, and backing. Do the designs of the quilting determine the price, as well as the size of the quilt? When you comission to have your quilt done, how long should your turn around be for getting it back. I would appreciate any and all info,you could find in your heart to share with me. As well I so appreciate your time in helping me with this info,, Thank-U,,,,stitch-n-time
Old 07-30-2011, 09:47 AM
Banned

There just isn't a "one size fits all" answer to this. The cost for longarmming a quilt varies from quilter to quilter. A lot depends on what type of quilting you want to see on your quilt. The price can also depend on the geographic area you live in. I live in the Denver metro area, and most of the LAers in my guild charge by the square inch for the quilting. So, the bigger the top, the more expensive the quilting. The quilting price per square inch loosely ranges from 1 1/2 cents per square inch to 3 cents per square inch for a medium density edge to edge. But this is a ballpark figure and it truly depends on the quilter. If a complex quilting pattern or heirloom type quilting is done, the price can be more. Quilters also usually have a minimum charge for small quilts. Some quilter charge a flat rate and some charge by the square yard and some charge by the hour.
As far as the batting, whether the batting is included as part of the quilting is (again) up to the quilter. Binding - if you want to pay to have it done- is again another cost. If the quilter has to piece the back, that can generate another charge. Some quilters assess a thread charge. You can expect to have your quilt trimmed to the top (if that's what you want done).
Turnaround times depend on the backlog of the quilter. The time of year can also impact how quickly you get your quilt back. The heaviest times for many of us are April/May (weddings and graduations) and late fall (Christmas quilts). Personally, I don't like to have a quilt in my studio longer than two weeks. I generally get them loaded and quilted within a week.
A little unsolicited advice is to interview a quilter before you hire someone and look at samples of his or her completed quilting. The individual quilter will tell you if the quilting is done per inch, per yard, or whatever. If the quilter contracts her services through a quilt shop, there will most likely be a sample of a completed quilt he/she has done at the shop. Get referrals from friends. You will probably be asked to sign a contract and the contract should specify exactly how much the work will be and will have a completion time the quilter commits to.
You asked some great questions about what to expect from a LAer. I hope this helped answer some of your questions.
Old 07-30-2011, 11:07 AM
Power Poster

there is a list of long arm quilters here on the board- go to the list- find a few in your area and pm them your questions---location matters- skill- experience- lots of variables---some people charge by the quilt- some by the square inch- ...some provide batting- some do not- some charge for thread changes---everybody is different-- the only way for you to find out your answeres is to ask the people who are near you you may want to use-
turn around time can be anywhere from a couple weeks to 6 months or more----check with your local quilt shops- guilds---they will have long-armers to recommend also
Old 07-30-2011, 02:26 PM
Power Poster

You can ask for the name(s) of LA in your area at the local quilt shop if there is one. Everything mentioned above is great advice. Ask for references and to see completed pieces. If they do not provide a written contract, insist that something in writing is created listing both your names, size of quilt, who's providing the batting & backing, the name of the panto (if used) or any details about the quilting, including thread color, and any additional services, such as binding, piecing batting etc. and an approximate completion date. LAst but not least, you should have a statement that the quilt top will not be altered AT ALL. If he/she does not want to provide this in writing, I would seriously consider a different quilter!