Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Longarm quilting is not cheating >

Longarm quilting is not cheating

Longarm quilting is not cheating

Old 03-19-2012, 08:16 PM

My grandmother was the epitome of a real perfect lady In spite of a particulary harsh life she never had a bad word for anyone Evwn if some ome was rude she would reply politely> If she was offered something she didn"t like< she would say nicely< "no thank you" If pressed< she would just say "No thank you>I don"t care for that" her mantras were
politenes is ro do and say the kindest thing in the kindest way and Do unto others as you would do unto them
rude peop:e were to be pitied they just don"t know any better>
Old 03-19-2012, 08:29 PM

sorry< my "puter"s keyboard is just being wierd
anyhow Grandma was a perfect lady UNTIL her later years< when she would say whatever she had on her mind One day she spat out some banana pudding and cursed loudly about how much she hated that s**** aand carried on for twenty minutes or so the next day she wondered why she didn"t get any pudding didn"t everyone know thazt was her favorite
people who knew her for years were saddened by her losses but we still treated her with the love and respect she deserved as the perfect lady she had once been regardless of what she had become>
Old 03-20-2012, 05:04 AM

He, he, he....I like that disclaimer..."QUILTING POLICE DISORDER"!
Old 03-20-2012, 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by jeemmerling621 View Post
I rent a longarm at my LQS and was quilting today (I.e. with headphones and tuned out to the world). A customer comes into the classroom where the longarms are and gets my attention and proclaims that what I am doing "is cheating, and defiling my quilt". I literally stood there speechless. She was in her 80's (I'm guessing) and has probably only ever hand quilted, but her total lack of filter just baffled me.

I had to get that off my chest I am so glad we all do our own thing on the Board and respect each other's amazing work!
You know, it isn't the fact that she thought it, it's the fact she said it out loud, right in front of you. What nerve. Feel how you like, but don't judge others - it's None of Her business! Yes? If you had asked, it would have been a good give and take - I can appreciate an opinion. But that is very quilt policey and condemning. You are a better person than me, young or old, manners dictate that you don't demean anothers work. I'm proud of you for holding it in, I'm afraid I wouldn't have and the term old-bat may have escaped. lol
Judi
Old 03-20-2012, 06:10 AM

Different strokes. I believe what ever gets you doing it is ok. We all have our methods rather it is by hand or by machine and that applies to piecing, appliquing or quilting. As times change and things get more modern and our lives get more hectic we need to find what ever we need to use to be able incorporate quilting or whatever else we enjoy into our lives. Life is too short to miss out on things just because we are working full time jobs and raising a family and then can't find time to quilt because we don't have time to do it the old fashioned way. This person probably was lucky enough to stay at home with her family and that was great too. Some of us don't have the hand skills to do it that way. Just enjoy it your way.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:29 AM

Oh my. I agree, the filter is probably gone. I tune out my 99 year old grandmother on a regular basis as her filter shut off decades ago.

Longarming takes skill and lots of practice. I certainly don't think of it as cheating. It is definitely not as easy as it looks.

Cheers, K