Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Longarm quilting >

Longarm quilting

Longarm quilting

Old 11-13-2012, 08:07 AM

Default Longarm quilting

I finally have my Grace Inspira frame & Juki 2010 set up, have my practice quilt loaded & I'm ready to go! I've done a few loops & my top thread breaks. Tried again & again it broke. I'm using the SureStitch regulator, Connecting Threads 100% cotton thread both top & bottom & a new needle. The machine is threaded properly & the tensions are correct. What am I doing wrong? Should I be using a different thread? I'd appreciate any & all suggestions.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:29 AM

I had the same problem and two things that helped me, and made a big difference was 1 - the fabric was too high off the machine. I lowered the bar so it was 'almost' touching. 2 - Started using a Topstitch needle size 12. I also got size 14 to try. A proffessional quilter taught our class that the hole in the needle is larger and the groove longer. This helps prevent the thread from fraying.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:37 AM

Also your quilt may be to tight on the frame. Go slow also. Lets say you do 2 loops side by side looking the same. Is is breaking around the same place on the loops? Like top of loop or going right to left,etc? when it breaks where does it break? At the machine? In the quilt? Make sure the needle is in correctly. Can you do straight lines without breaking?
Old 11-13-2012, 12:35 PM

i think it would run better with number 50 weight thread. my machine only uses
superior thread #50.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:47 PM

what kind of needle are you using? is your thread coming off the cone from the top or the side? Im not familiar with this Juki, but is it a high speed machine? I had a Babylock QCP and couldnt use the CT 100% cotton, but their Essential "Pro" thread worked GREAT!!!

Originally Posted by DonnaCee View Post
I finally have my Grace Inspira frame & Juki 2010 set up, have my practice quilt loaded & I'm ready to go! I've done a few loops & my top thread breaks. Tried again & again it broke. I'm using the SureStitch regulator, Connecting Threads 100% cotton thread both top & bottom & a new needle. The machine is threaded properly & the tensions are correct. What am I doing wrong? Should I be using a different thread? I'd appreciate any & all suggestions.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:57 PM
Power Poster

My first guess would be that the CT cotton thread is not strong enough. Move up to a heavier weight cotton thread or switch to a polyester thread.
Old 11-13-2012, 03:13 PM

Be sure the quilt is taut but not tight. If the quilt is tight between the rollers it will break your thread. The bottom or back of the quilt should be laying on the machine. When quilting you should be able to see your machine moving under the quilt. For practicing, you should have muslin for top and backing. Double check the bobbin tension. With a full bobbin in the case, lay it in your hand and pick up the thread. The case should come up and if you do a quick tug on the thread with bobbin case in the air it should creep down like a spider with a web. Double check your needle and make sure you do not have it in backwards (this is a common mistake)
Check the tension disks. Give them a quick cleaning. There could be something there from being packed.
When first starting out, I suggest using the machine slow until you get comfortable then increase speed. Main thing to remember, just like driving a car you must slow down on the curves. If you get "eyelases" on the back when doing curves you are moving the machine too fast for the speed of the machine.
Follow these simple rules and you should be able to use any type of thread in your machine.

Last edited by crashnquilt; 11-13-2012 at 03:16 PM.
Old 11-13-2012, 03:18 PM
Banned

What thread weight is your Connecting Threads thread? Some of what they sell is 70wt, which is extremely delicate.
Consider a poly thread. Glide or Isacord longarm beautifully, look gorgeous and are so much easier to work with than cotton.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:46 AM

Thanks for all your suggestions. I changed the thread to Guttermans top & bobbin and no more breakage. Amazing what one little change will do.