Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
LongArm Studio >

LongArm Studio

LongArm Studio

Old 08-13-2011, 04:51 PM

I do plan to have a minimum 14 foot table and a big machine no smaller than a 26 throat.

Do you leave your longarm table set up fully? I was thinking I would need like a 20F by 20F room?

I wan't to be able to have my office in the room as well, also my regular sewing machine and embroidery machine, and all my fabrics, cutting table and ironing table.
Old 08-13-2011, 04:57 PM

Ashley - I've had 2 different quilting frames and you DO leave them up. So far I haven't found one that would adjust sizing easily. Think about it -- they're a HUGE machine, going 1000sss of stitches per inch...they need sturdy. A frame that would break down in size easily would be flimsier. Course, I could be proven wrong!

As for 20 by 20 -- yes -- I'd LOVE to have that size!!!
Old 08-13-2011, 04:58 PM

I see you live in Canada. In addition to heating/cooling a separate building, think about having to go outside in the cold and shoveling a walkway out there.
Too bad we can't just build our dreams and forget about reality. :-D
Old 08-13-2011, 05:12 PM
Banned

I think my room is 14' x 22'. I would love for it to be wider so I could fit more in it! lol 20' x 20' would work well, giving you room to set up a small office space, room for fabrics, sewing machines, cutting table etc. I have all that in mine, except just one LA and one sewing machine which I leave set up all the time.
I do unplug them when not in use.
Old 08-14-2011, 02:50 AM

I would love a larger room. Mine is 12 x 14 and while I do have a closet in that room, it holds off season clothes, it would be nice to have all my sewing stuff in one room. My sewing/quilting room is 10 x 10 and it is literally jammed packed without much room to spare. Ideally, I would like a room 20x24, with the Tin Lizzie at one end, my sewing/cutting table at the other end and lots of windows and storage. I know this will probably never happen without winning a lottery, but, one can dream!
Old 08-14-2011, 10:11 AM

I am not a LAQ but if I were, I would want a room on the ground floor in my house that was as large as possible to accommodate built in storage for batting/threads/pantos/marking tools/samples/books and multiple customer projects awaiting quilting/billing and mailing information and files for the business, etc and to trim down quilts afterwards. I would want some natural light. I would not want a separate building but I would want a customer entrance and a small area for them to sit and discuss quilting patterns etc.

I would also want a radio or television in the room.

The best idea would be a set of pocket doors connecting the studio to the rest of your house so the room doesn't feel claustrophobic when you are working.
Old 08-14-2011, 10:44 AM

I have a detached shop at the back of our house where it is dedicated for my quilting only and crafts. I have a small fridge, a TV, a radio, phone and air conditioner. My husband refuses to put in a bathroom. He said if he does he will never see me. It is nice to have your own place by yourself when it comes to quilting.
Old 09-14-2011, 05:25 AM

My avatar shows my longarm room. My sewing room is our 3rd bedroom and wasn't large enough for my longarm. We enclosed our screened in back porch that housed the washer/dryer and freezer. My frame is on casters so I can roll it out when I do pantographs. It works for me and we were able to do all the work ourselves for about $2100.
Old 09-14-2011, 06:05 AM

I couold be wrong but I had a brother-in-law in Saskatchewan who ran a business office out of his home. It had to be a definite space with a door to close it off to the rest of the house. His was in the basement. I ran a simple google search and found this information - look at the link there are specific criteria thses days to use a home space for your business.
http://www.bookkeeping-essentials.co...-expenses.html

Good luck.