Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Longarm Survey >

Longarm Survey

Longarm Survey

Old 06-07-2015, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by cathyvv View Post
I had and have no intention of going into business with my long arm. It's a lot of work and time to do long arming. I'm retired and just want to enjoy what i do - no deadlines and only me to please.

Enjoy your long arm!
This would be me!
Old 06-07-2015, 04:50 PM

I bought mine just for me and it is still and always will be just for me.
Old 06-08-2015, 03:36 AM

Interesting thread. But I have a question. Other than the obvious larger throat, why buy a long arm? I've read this thread and others on this board and everyone comments on how much work is involved with a long arm (i.e. how physically hard they are to use). I'm hoping this Fall to find a local quilt show and try a long arm so I better understand the advantages.

Thank you for sharing!
Old 06-08-2015, 08:30 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Sharonquilts View Post
Interesting thread. But I have a question. Other than the obvious larger throat, why buy a long arm? I've read this thread and others on this board and everyone comments on how much work is involved with a long arm (i.e. how physically hard they are to use). I'm hoping this Fall to find a local quilt show and try a long arm so I better understand the advantages.
Thank you for sharing!
There are several big advantages for me. I don't have to make the quilt sandwich, so I'm not crawling around on the floor trying to pin or spray. Because you have such a large quilting area, your quilting can go much faster. I have found that my hand-eye coordination is much better moving the pencil (machine) compared with moving the paper (quilt). As far as the machines being physically hard, it's all relative. If you get a quality machine and an appropriate frame, I think it's much less strain and effort to use a long arm as opposed to wrestling a quilt thru a domestic machine's harp. If the machine & frame are well balanced, it's pretty easy to move. But it is a repetitive motion. Doing any repetitive activity for an extended period of time is going to cause problems. Frequent breaks help. Also, learning that you don't really need to have a 'death grip' on the handles is a must. A light touch is really all you need. Most frames are adjustable, so you should have it set up at the best ergonomic height for you. Also you are standing, so an anti fatigue mat is a big help, and many folks use wheeled dental or draftsman's chairs.

Last edited by PaperPrincess; 06-08-2015 at 08:34 AM.
Old 06-09-2015, 05:13 AM

How do you like your Innova? I have one on order and have been patiently waiting for quite a while for it to come.
Old 06-09-2015, 05:30 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by tatteredgarden View Post
How do you like your Innova? I have one on order and have been patiently waiting for quite a while for it to come.

I absolutely ADORE mine. I would never give it up unless it was to upgrade to another Innova.
Old 06-09-2015, 05:58 AM

I love mine and agree with feline fanatic. I would never give it up. I have a 26" with Lightning stitch. I love how you can modify the machine without having to upgrade. It's also lighter than some of the other brands. There are at least 2 Innova Yahoo groups.

As far as the original topic, I bought mine for me. I only do my quilts and donation quilts (charity for guild and QOV). I did a single baby quilt for an acquaintance, but she was in a time crunch and didn't have time to take it to her usual LA'er.
Old 06-09-2015, 05:59 AM

I stress out doing my own quilts, cannot imagine doing for others. I would love to be able to quilt for others when retire, to help with my income, but do not feel talented enough. Right now have a Sweet16, hoping to upgrade within a year, do not know if that would improve my quilting or not.
Old 06-09-2015, 06:27 AM

Don't give up. After waiting approximately 6 weeks, ours will be delivered this next Monday. I can hardly wait.
Old 06-09-2015, 08:33 AM

A little of both. I don't ever expect to have a roaring business ( frankly don't want one ), but I have paid for the machine.