Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Longarm Survey >

Longarm Survey

Longarm Survey

Old 06-09-2015, 10:24 AM

I also do not want to go into business I love the idea of quilting and enjoy quilting. I do charity quilts and do a few commission quilts for a few select people. I agree with the gal that said if you make a mistake they won't know I really don't think it stresses me out
Old 06-09-2015, 10:25 AM

I actually have found for me it is easier on my body quilting on the longarm.
Old 06-09-2015, 10:49 AM

I bought my just for me and that's the way it will stay. I thoroughly enjoy it but do not want to do it for others.
Old 06-09-2015, 11:29 AM

Have ya got a few minutes? I'll tell my story...could be a little long though. I bought my A-1 in 2006 when I was working as a nurse part time. I was going to have a business so when my part time client went off to Kindergarten, I would have the business from home. I was driving 104 miles a day to work and the idea of not doing that was very appealing. I lived on a ranch in East Texas and we raised goats. Surprisingly in about 6 months I had 10-15 clients. Many older people in town dug out their old (and I do mean OLD) quilt tops and had me quilt them. This was a little town of 2000 people but San Angelo was much larger and 52 miles away. I joined the Guild in San Angelo and had some clients there also. I thought everything was going according to plan until the morning my ex husband told me he had filed for divorce. I had no idea....I never saw it coming. I was dumbstruck to say the least. He could not give me a reason so you know what that meant...
So me and this 12 foot longarm had to move! I moved all the way to El Paso Texas because both my elderly parents were here. They have since passed away but I thank God each day for the time I was able to give them thanks to, of all things, a divorce!
Well...now I had to go to work full time because I had had to purchase a house! I did buy one with a room large enough to house my longarm though. I joined the Guild here and dabbled around at having a business but I was working 12 hour night shift and I didn't have much energy left for quilting.
In late 2009 I remarried and my husband wanted me to be at home if I wanted to be. Oh joy oh joy, it took me 5 minutes to turn in my notice! Now I went at it hard and heavy but it was such a slow go! Remember it takes YEARS to build up a clientele and also remember that it is feast and famine. One month I may have 15 quilts and the next month, none.
I am now saving up every penny so I can purchase a Gammill Statler Stitcher and my A-1 is for sale CHEAP! If it doesn't sell I will be trading it in. I really enjoy being in the business. Is it stressful? Yes. You have someone else's hard work in your hands and there are so many things that can go wrong. But the feeling I get when that top becomes a beautiful quilt is like none other. Of course I have a bout ten tops of my own that need quilting but you know what they say, "the cobblers children have no shoes". I have enjoyed reading everyone's stories here, thanks for posting! Michelle

Last edited by Michellesews; 06-09-2015 at 11:32 AM.
Old 06-09-2015, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by tatteredgarden View Post
How do you like your Innova? I have one on order and have been patiently waiting for quite a while for it to come.
I love my Innova! I've had mine since 2008 and the only problems I ever had with it was due to my ignorance - it is my first (and only) longarm. It is an 18" and it works just fine for me. I rarely do E2E, usually custom quilting, so the smaller throat space generally isn't an issue. I love the free 24/7/365 tech support from the company and the way Michael was so patient with my novice questions - including tension! I love how easily my machine moves that 18 hours straight working on it doesn't leave me sore. The Innova really makes my quilting look great and that works for me! Well-made machine and the frame is awesome too!
Old 06-09-2015, 06:12 PM

I bought my used Gammill Classic Plus in April of 2012, but due to my first knee replacement 6 weeks before, really did not get much time on it until late summer. I knew I'd be retiring as an educator the next summer(2013) so set out with the intent of establishing a post-retirement business. Mainly, my hope was to earn enough to pay for my quilting addiction and my health insurance. So far, I've only been able to almost achieve the paying for my addiction. I found that the learning curve was significant to become good, there are quite a few long arm quilters in our area (8 in my guild of about 150,of which about 80 are very actively quilting), 3 LQS that rent time on long arm machines in the area,and more and more quilters purchasing sit-down machines. But another LA friend said it took her a full 3 years to build up a clientele, so I'm hopeful. My DH says as long as it pays for my quilting addiction, I'm in great financial state--so that's become my new goal!

Why a long arm? Despite needing to use a drafting stool due to 2 replacement knees, I find it much easier than wrestling a full size quilt in my DSM (which I have done), not to mention trying to sandwich one! Plus, I think I do a nicer job and like the results more--and the process!
Old 06-09-2015, 06:20 PM

feline fanatic you should try Max Pr 35 for your fibromyalgia. Won't get rid of it but it sure works faster than Aleve. I don't have fibro but I do have neuropathy (caused by chemo) and came across Max Pr 35 last summer while on vacation. It is an all natural spray that really and truly does work and it works FAST!!!! The Dr. put me on Gabapentin and it kept me sluggish and sleepy all the time and I couldn't function so I quit taking it and ate Aleve and Tylenol daily. You may want to check it out. I love it!!!! All Natural and smells like eucalyptus but I don't mind that. Especially since it does work. Here is the website if you're interested. (I don't sell it and I don't get a kick back from it but I do tell everyone about it.) WWW.maxpr35.com
Old 06-10-2015, 06:09 AM

I purchased my Gammill for my own quilting just before I retired. Then, six months after I retired the bottom dropped out of my retirement so I went into the quilting business. Love it!! (my quilting machine and business) Absolutely love seeing the quilts that come and go. Love, having a hobby that I can use to supplement my income.
Old 06-11-2015, 03:55 PM

Thanks so much for all your comments. It's only 4 more days. Why does it feel like 4 months?
Old 06-11-2015, 08:18 PM

I bought a Gammill while I was still working, thinking I'd like to quilt for others after I retired. After doing some quilts for others while I was still working, I find I'd rather quilt just for myself. I'm retired now, and will still quilt for a friend if asked, and I quilt our guild's raffle quilts at no charge, but I don't try to drum up business, because I find it too stressful to quilt for others. I did my "time"---worked for 42 years outside the home. I find I no longer want the pressure of meeting someone else's deadlines and meeting or exceeding their expectations.