Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Longarm thread

Blog Entries

Longarm thread

I have just picked up a quilt on which the customer wants the design she selected to really standout. I am not familiar with threads that are heavier than the 40 weight thread of Signature (I love this thread on many levels) I've used Coats and Clark a few times but is there something that is a little heavier than that? I can use up to a 20 needle without retiming my machine.

there are 30wt threads that may work for you- check the Superior Threads website to see the variety they have to offer....also Atlanta Thread company is another source. I generally turn to Superior Threads for options when i can not find what i need from Connecting Threads (or locally)
    generally if i want a design to really stand out i make that happen with either Contrasting color- or a double batt (or wool batting) & dense quilting- i don't use a heavier thread.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Blog Entries
    I always liked ordering from Atlanta Thread. Last month they merged with Wawak. Just got my catalog today.

http://www.wawak.com/atlantathread/
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Blog Entries
    I am just learning too. So, maybe this will benefit both of us.
    Be the best that you can be at everything you do.

Blog Entries
    my customer wants the thread to be very prominent. There is indeed contrast between the thread color and the quilt but she wants more. Extra batting is also out of the question. That leaves only an adjustment in the thread.

Would a variegated thread work? Sometimes that is all that is needed to 'pop' a design.
    Have fun quilting! If it isn't fun, you will miss a lot.
    ali

The 30 wt should work with either the 18 or 20 size needle. I know there are threads heavier than that. Check with Superior. They should be able to give you a needle size for the various threads.

Gosh, I'm no help here. When my customers say they want to see the quilting, I take it to mean that they want to see more texture than thread. I use A &E Permacore thread from Signature, Tex 30 for all my quilting. I would not recommend a variegated to be seen unless you are quilting on fabric that reads as a solid color. Can youand your customer lay several threads out upon the quilt top and see which would suit your customer?

Blog Entries
    I have a friend who set her computer-guided longarm to quilt the same pattern twice in each block - one right on top of the other. It really made the quilting on that quilt to stand out.

Lava by Superior is a 35wt and pretty heavy.

https://www.superiorthreads.com/product/Brand/lava/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast