Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Longarm - where to begin? >

Longarm - where to begin?

Longarm - where to begin?

Old 02-15-2014, 01:36 PM

Default Longarm - where to begin?

My husband is getting me a longarm machine for my birthday/anniversary present. However, I have no idea where to begin in what to look for?

I've been reading on here and understand that they are quite expensive so I don't want to rush into this decision. I also understand that I need to test drive them all.

If any one can give me pre-test drive advice I would really appreciate it!

Thanks,
Yael
Old 02-15-2014, 01:59 PM
Power Poster

It may be prudent to test drive many but you may find your dream machine after only trying out a couple. I bought an Innova after test driving only that and and an HQ sweet 16.

See if there is a quilt shop around you that offers training on a LA. Many that rent LA time offer a training class that you must take before renting. This is the ideal way to learn if you even WANT to LA. The training will have you load a quilt on the rack then try different techniques like FMQ, following a stencil or drawn line, following a pattern with a laser light, like a panto and some even have Stylus type systems like Groovy Boards or Circle Lord.

If a quilt shop that does rental is not available find if there is a LA dealer near you and see if they offer any kind of training like that. Many do at a charge and you are under no obligation to buy from them after taking the class (Usually around $50 or $60). IMHO a good dealer is an invaluable asset to have. You have near by support, Many will come to your home and install the machine and give you a hands on run through and you have a familiar source for gadgets and notions like needles, bobbins, etc.

By taking a class, this will give you a good idea if you want to pursue this investment. I have heard some people don't like the effort it takes to load a quilt, others think they can't stand at the rack for many hours at a time. Some realize right away that LA is not for them. Others realize this is exactly what they have imagined and can't wait to get one. Yes LA are very expensive. But you definitely get what you pay for.

Most people who make this investment do their research and take about a year to decide. This gives you ample opportunity to find a major show where there may be several LA vendors so you can test drive different machines. You need to decide on a budget. There are low end streched machines like Baileys for a few thousand (only phone support unless you live in upstate NY near them) all the way on up to fully robotic models that cost upwards of $30K and more!. A good machine and rack will definitely make a difference in your learning curve and in your enjoyment of LA quilting. As will extras like a stitch regulator.

You could also see if there is a machine quilting expo coming your way in the near future and take a class at that. Many offer beginner classes that could also help you decide.
Old 02-15-2014, 02:07 PM

Test drive!!!! I own a Tin Lizzie, not computerized, and absolutely adore it!
Old 02-15-2014, 02:12 PM
Power Poster

Renae Haddadin from quiltsonthecorner wrote a nice article a while back about selecting a longarm. (She wound up buying Innova, as did I.) Her article is no longer online, but if you pm me with your email address I will send you a copy. (I have her permission to do that.)
Old 02-15-2014, 02:57 PM

Definitely test drive all the machines if possible. I did not, but did a lot of research. I purchased a Handi Quilter Avante, it is a very good beginner machine, but now I would like to upgrade to a bigger machine, one with solid table and heavier duty bars. I test drove many in Atlanta a few months ago, and for me I really liked the Gammell, but having a hard time justifying upgrading due to extra cost of machine.
Old 02-15-2014, 04:03 PM

Go to a couple of the large shows and plan to spend serious time with each machine. It didn't take me long to realize I needed a sit-down model, and I tried every single one out there. Having a dealer close makes a big difference as well. Good luck and enjoy the search!
Old 02-15-2014, 04:37 PM

What is a sit down model?
Old 02-15-2014, 05:26 PM

A sit down machine has just a big table and instead of moving the machine, you move the fabric...like in free motion quilting. It is limiting because you cannot use any automation. But, it would be more comfortable and does not take up much floor space.
Old 02-15-2014, 06:21 PM
Power Poster

What feline fanatic said.

I've tried out and researched quite a few setups. My dream machine is an Innova with lightning stitch.
Old 02-15-2014, 06:23 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by yweinst View Post
What is a sit down model?
There are two types of serious quilters -- those who move the quilt, and those who move the machine. (1) Sit-down models are those such as the George or HQ16; you sit at the machine and move the quilt under the needle. (2) Frame quilters mount the layers on a frame and quilt by moving the machine around.