Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Longarm -- yes or no! >

Longarm -- yes or no!

Longarm -- yes or no!

Old 03-19-2010, 05:59 AM

I have noticed a few people on the board have their own Longarm and was wondering how many of you do have one and what do others do to quilt their quilts?
Old 03-19-2010, 06:01 AM

I quilt on my regular sewing machine. I've done 2 queen-size quilts and that's absolutely the biggest I can manage. Smaller than that is very do-able. I'm having a king-size quilted by a longarmer soon just because I can't handle it.
Old 03-19-2010, 06:03 AM

Well, I do not have a Long or Short arm. I use my new sewing machine.
Old 03-19-2010, 06:05 AM

I'm getting a mid-arm and frame. Just doing it on my machine is unwieldy starting in the twin-size range. And, even before I'm getting the mid-arm, I'm like....should I just suck it up and get the long arm? :lol:
Old 03-19-2010, 06:06 AM

My very DH got me a mid-arm for Christmas and I don't know what I did without it. I'm still learning to use it, but am already in love.
Old 03-19-2010, 06:22 AM
Power Poster

I have a HQ 16 and love it.
Old 03-19-2010, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by Rebecca VLQ
I'm getting a mid-arm and frame. Just doing it on my machine is unwieldy starting in the twin-size range. And, even before I'm getting the mid-arm, I'm like....should I just suck it up and get the long arm? :lol:
Just curious but what do you consider a mid-arm - a Juki maybe? I ask because I was considering the Juki but have heard pros and cons regarding the space available for quilting larger quilts.
Old 03-19-2010, 07:14 AM

I have a Mega Quilter on a frame and would rather have a long arm.
Old 03-19-2010, 07:23 AM

Certainly drooling seems possible as I look at the big quilting machines, maybe I'll nibble on a fingernail or two as well, but this is my hobby! I love machine piecing and hand quilting. I pin or baste to the max and then sit in front of the TV or in a recliner with a book cd and relax while I hand quilt. I can't imagine being relaxed while I ran my quilt through a quilting machine.

How about cost effective? Will I ever live so long as to make one of those space hogging machines cost effective? The few I've seen set up get a room of their own. Our dog doesn't even get a room of her own.

And naturally I argue this out every time I find myself procrastinating getting another quilt top ready to hand quilt. LOL You never know - I might sell some of our furniture and get one tomorrow.

Jois
Old 03-19-2010, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by Jois
Certainly drooling seems possible as I look at the big quilting machines, maybe I'll nibble on a fingernail or two as well, but this is my hobby! I love machine piecing and hand quilting. I pin or baste to the max and then sit in front of the TV or in a recliner with a book cd and relax while I hand quilt. I can't imagine being relaxed while I ran my quilt through a quilting machine.

Jois
I wish I could learn to love hand quilting. I think it is such a beautiful art. I tried it and was so frustrated I never really pursued it. I guess I am too impatient. I usually make large bed quilts so I probably would never finish hand quilting one.