Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
looking for block ideas >

looking for block ideas

looking for block ideas

Old 07-19-2016, 06:16 PM
Power Poster

I was going to suggest this one also. You can make the blocs as big or small as you want.
Originally Posted by suern3 View Post
Jenny Doan has recently published her version of Hunter's Star and it looks very doable, as hers usually are. I don't believe there is a special ruler or template involved. Your fabrics and the theme for this young man sound just perfect. Let us know what you decide.
Old 07-19-2016, 10:17 PM

I made a. Hunter star. Once you have done the first block to check method it goes together very quickly, it was the quilting that took me longer to do.
Old 07-20-2016, 02:26 AM

Wow, it is a really small world. I teach at WMU (Western Michigan University) and my office is just above the aviation department. We have a robust program for foster children. One of local quilt guilds makes quilts for each foster student because they often come to campus with very little of their own "stuff".

Yes, our school colors are brown and gold. I saw a stunning quilt made of WMU fabrics, brown, gold and black, in a log cabin pattern made by a quilter here on campus and donated to one of the health services offices. A log cabin block might be interesting with alternative sides of WMU and the Air Force blocks.

Last edited by WMUTeach; 07-20-2016 at 02:32 AM.
Old 07-20-2016, 04:35 AM

I am putting together a college quilt for my grandson using a pattern I had seen on this site. It is in Archives under pictures look for NFL quilt. It is 6" squares with 2" strips with cornerstones. I used a T-shirt block in the center. You could put your star in the center. The name of the pattern I used is Simply Cool Quilt pattern. I bought it thru Craftsy and it has 5 different sizes you can use. I also used 2 different college fabrics.
Old 07-20-2016, 06:22 AM

If you know anyone with a Go! The die is worth every penny. I cut out a queen size in an hour. And it will fit a Go! Baby
Old 07-20-2016, 02:39 PM

The trapezoids are not hart to work with with Deb Tuckers template. Actually the easiest I've ever done.
Originally Posted by riutzelj View Post
I'm trolling for ideas for a graduation quilt for my foster grandson: He is a refuge from El Salvador who came to USA as a late teen, managed to start and finish high school in two years and now has a full scholarship to Western Michigan State University. He plans on joining the Air Force to fly.
I already bought 3 yards each of Michigan state and the Air Force colors, so I have 12 yards of Gold, Brown, Golden Yellow and an Ultramarine Blue.
I bought yardage with idea of making a Deb Tucker Hunter's Star quilt and now i'm questioning whether that may take too long.
Anyone already made a twin size Hunter's Star using her template, if so how hard is it to work with the trapezoids ?
Old 07-20-2016, 08:13 PM

Deb Tucker's Hunter Star ruler is great! I used it last year for a wedding gift for my niece. The 1st block or 2 went a little slow because I kept double checking myself. After that it was very easy. I couldn't have gotten my points done so well with out it.
Old 07-21-2016, 03:49 AM

Thumbs up

Yoou could make a sampler quilt. Google Quilter's Cache and there are all kinds of sampler patterns and sizes to make them. I would pick out the samplers to match this young man - I make one size 52x80=15 blocks = 3 across x 5 down---2-1/2" sashing and a 4-1/2" border. Very simple, very easy. Or you could make a larger quilt 106x92=35 blocks =5 across x 7 down ---2-1/2" sashing and 4-1/2" border. Every block is different, but it all blends together. Then while you make each one, you can write a little book - headlines from the newspaper, what the particular block meant to you and why you put it in the quilt,, what is going on with the family, all kinds of things, a little saying like "By all means, let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains fall out." Or "I am so confused I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse". One of my favorites is "Whatever you are -- Be a good one!". I hope this will help you. I have made many a quilt and have done the sampler, the book and it will be treasured. Good luck to you.

Edie

Last edited by Edie; 07-21-2016 at 03:53 AM.
Old 07-21-2016, 05:33 AM

Here's the Jenny Doan Hunters Star tutorial.

http://land.missouriquiltco.com/easy...es#qt_app_land
Old 07-21-2016, 01:35 PM

I don't have anything to say about the block but...You must be so proud of your step grandson. Give him a big hand.