Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Looking for a (Blue?)Bird Pattern for Applique Quilt

Looking for a (Blue?)Bird Pattern for Applique Quilt

Back in the Dark Ages, before the internet hit us, I used to swap blocks and fabric pieces with folks by mail. At that time one lady was collecting fabric for a quilt I thought was a cute block. Now, approximately 200 years later, I thought it would be fun to make. BUT I not only can't find it, but can't be sure of name of it. I thought it was Bluebirds, but at least I know it was birds! Might have been a different kind of bird altogether! It was applique and there were four birds flying around the block. I have searched for Bluebirds, and Doves, and just plain Birds, and can't find anything that jogs my memory. I did find a cross-stitched quilt that looks similar. Of course, I may have hallucinated the whole thing--it WAS in the seventies.....Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Could it be "Dove in the Window"? Or "Swallows"?Name:  images.jpeg
Views: 485
Size:  15.3 KB
    Last edited by Greenheron; 07-31-2012 at 11:07 AM.

If it was applique, it might be hard to find the same design. I have this book - (Fancy Feathered Friends for Quilters by Susan McKelvey) http://www.amazon.com/Fancy-Feathere...thered+friends - and it has a number of birds that could be placed as you remember them, or it also gives tips for making up your own bird applique.

The circling swallows or flying swallows is not an appliqué one, but it is the only one I could think of too. Here's a link to it. http://www.mccallsquilting.com/patte....html?idx=8055

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I think I may just find a simple bird applique and make it a bluebird!!! I do like the pieced patterns, too, and after one bird applique I may just remember why I usually do pieced blocks and switch over! Thanks for the help.

Blog Entries
    Hello Hawk, Did you find a bird pattern for your block. I have several because I love applique and birds. I am in Oklahoma City, where are you located?

Quote Originally Posted by hawk View Post
    Back in the Dark Ages, before the internet hit us, I used to swap blocks and fabric pieces with folks by mail. At that time one lady was collecting fabric for a quilt I thought was a cute block. Now, approximately 200 years later, I thought it would be fun to make. BUT I not only can't find it, but can't be sure of name of it. I thought it was Bluebirds, but at least I know it was birds! Might have been a different kind of bird altogether! It was applique and there were four birds flying around the block. I have searched for Bluebirds, and Doves, and just plain Birds, and can't find anything that jogs my memory. I did find a cross-stitched quilt that looks similar. Of course, I may have hallucinated the whole thing--it WAS in the seventies.....Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
    It's so funny you mentioned that because I was just thinking about that the other day. I, too, used to swap charms & blocks thru the mail back in the day. I have a top I made from blocks that I want to have quilted & I was just thinking about it the other day. I wonder what happened to all those gals from back then? It was so fun to go to the mail box & have "squishies" & a letter from a quilting pal.
    (¯`v´¯)
    `*.¸.*´
    ¸.•´
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)
    (¸.•´(¸.• (¸.•´¸¸.•¨¯`•.¸¸.♥ rebecca

Quote Originally Posted by hawk View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I think I may just find a simple bird applique and make it a bluebird!!! I do like the pieced patterns, too, and after one bird applique I may just remember why I usually do pieced blocks and switch over! Thanks for the help.
    You could look at coloring book pages for a simple bird shape.
    (¯`v´¯)
    `*.¸.*´
    ¸.•´
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)
    (¸.•´(¸.• (¸.•´¸¸.•¨¯`•.¸¸.♥ rebecca