Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Looking to buy new sewing machine..need some suggestions >

Looking to buy new sewing machine..need some suggestions

Looking to buy new sewing machine..need some suggestions

Old 12-24-2010, 04:39 PM

Hi-

Ok, so I am ready to take "the plunge" and purchase a higher end sewing machine model. I really do not want to pay more than $2k for it. I currently have 2 machines. A babylock quilters choice pro which is a straight stitch only machine and I really like, and then I have a brother csi6000 and it was from Walmart.

I have 2 issues I am dealing with. First, the babylock is ok for free motion quilting, but I feel I'm having a hard time getting that nice 1/4 seam. The second issue is, with the brother, its so inconsistent with stitches and sometimes its quite touchy.

I am looking for a machine to really PIECE with..embroidery options would be nice. I figured I would ask here first and then dabble around with the different dealers I have around me..we have them all!

Merry Christmas!!
Old 12-24-2010, 05:17 PM

I hear good things about the Janome 6600 and the new Janome 7700 Horizon. I don't think they do embroidery but they have a lot of awesome quilting features, like knee lift, thread cutter, and built in walking foot.

I have a less expensive Janome and love it. If I had the money, I'd upgrade to another Janome :)
Old 12-24-2010, 05:52 PM

You could probably get a gently used Bernina 440QE with embroidery for around that. Check the dealers in your area.
Old 12-24-2010, 06:15 PM

Look for a Pfaff. The built in walking foot (otherwise known as IDT) can't be beat for piecing or any other sewing. I use it with just about every stitch. You can get a 1/4 inch accessory foot with a blade or without (I have both). I also highly recommend the open-toe applique foot and narrow-edge foot. Both can be used with the walking foot.
Old 12-24-2010, 06:55 PM

Well, I have a Viking/Husqvarna Sapphire 875Q and i love it - it does not have the embroidery - they do have a model above that that includes embroidery - but they are slightly over your price. Consider also a used machine - can get great deals.
Old 12-24-2010, 07:41 PM

With your budget, I'd go with Janome. You can get a nice, higher end machine for $2K. The Horizon is a bit more than that but also comes with a 11" throat space which is fantastic to quilt on. I even use mine on my quilting frame. I find the Janome very intuitive, and made with the user in mind. Things just fit. The new Horizon also has a ton of LED's to light up the sewing space, and has a built in walking foot. My Janome QC 6260 doesn't have a walking foot but I just added an after market one and it works great. One of the best features for getting a perfect 1/4" seam is the ability to move the needle left or right in a lot of positions and both the 6260 and the Horizon have that. They both also have a large acrylic extension table that comes with them which is good for quilting as it supports the quilt.
Your best bet would be to take your time. Check out some dealers in your area and test drive everything in your price range. You'll see what you like and what you don't like, and what you must have and what you'd like to have.
It's kind of like shopping for a house. You make your list, and your wish list, and then go shopping.
Good luck.
Old 12-24-2010, 07:42 PM

I am a fan of Bernina and Janome. I've owned both and and really like both. I think any machine you get from these manufacterers would be great.
Old 12-24-2010, 07:53 PM

When you go to try out machines,be sure to bring along several pieces to stitch on. Include a small "sandwich" to see how it quilts, and scraps to check out straight stitching. Most of the shops only use a stiff type of fabric that works beautifully. But you'll never use that kind of fabric!
Old 12-24-2010, 08:07 PM

I have a Smarter by Pfaff it has some nice features the IDT makes quilting nice.
Old 12-25-2010, 04:12 AM

I have the QE 440 by Bernina and love, love it. It comes with the stitch regulator. I bought an extra foot that keeps a perfect 1/4" seam (patchwork foot).It's great! It's in that price range.