Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Looking for elementary school projects

We are hosting a Founders' Day at our school on May 1, and I have been contacted to suggest some type of quilting activity - perhaps a collective sewing of pre-cut squares or whatever - that might engage the interest of children anywhere from preschool to 6th grade. At our Sunday School, I know children of all ages have been very enthusiastic about using yarn and a big needle to stitch together knitted and crocheted squares, but I won't have anything like that ready for May 1.

I found one project idea at the Linus Project (http://www.projectlinus.org/patterns/pdf/NoSewFB.pdf ) but I am sure there are other ideas out there. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you for your time.

I should clarify, I am really hoping for something that is mostly do-able that day!

Elizabeth

Blog Entries
    If you have volunteers to help, you could have the kids each design and color a quilt block. Each grade level would do what they can. i.e. The preschool kids could be given a block to just color. Then put blocks together into quilts. I did this and really enjoyed it.

My grandchildren ages 5&8 & I just made the Zee character from Nickjr website. No sew just cut out, glue and stuff. Of course I did the cutting. They seemed to enjoy it.

I agree, in fact I was teaching at a community college and had my students do a block. I wanted to get to know them and had white blocks and took crayons and markers. I had some that were sad but most of them did a good job. I needed some way to connect and this really helped :lol: :lol:

Blog Entries

Blog Entries
    I haven't tried crayons on fabric, but from what I've read here, it works nicely after it is set with heat.

Anyone have a comment on this? Kids are familiar with crayons.

Blog Entries
    Years ago we used crayons and we used fabric markers. They both worked well. Markers were a little too messy for me to use with preschool and kinder(But that's just me), but they were great for 1st and up.

lap robes for area nursing homes - see link

http://www.thecraftstudio.com/qwc/qu...di/laprobe.htm

other ideas at that site too

I'm sorry - can I check what you mean? Did you trace a pattern of the Zee character, cut it out in advance, let the children glue it inside out to a backing fabric with fabric glue, and then stuff and glue the opening?

Quote Originally Posted by Granna of 5
    My grandchildren ages 5&8 & I just made the Zee character from Nickjr website. No sew just cut out, glue and stuff. Of course I did the cutting. They seemed to enjoy it.

We did the kids' handprints on squares and crayon drawings on others for a retiring teacher many years ago. Sashing and binding done in school colors. Turned out so cute!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast