Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Looking at the fabric through rose colored glasses >

Looking at the fabric through rose colored glasses

Looking at the fabric through rose colored glasses

Old 01-28-2011, 06:48 AM

This morning I cracked up my family when I put on my rhinestone rimmed, heart shaped, rose lens, glasses. When I went fabric shopping last week, my red cellophane was not in my bag of tricks. So, I asked my girl friend to fetch a pair of red lens glasses from the Valentine section, that way I could get a better idea of the values of the fabrics in my buggy. She came back with the heart glasses. I bought them. I may still use the cellophane when trying to eye values, it's a bit darker, but the classes are a real crack-up. So 50's, and they fit over my regular specs better than the cardboard 3-D glasses. They are also large enough that they shouldn't get lost in my bag of tricks either. I just need to get a protective case so that nothing happens to damage my beautiful $2.00 fabric aid.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:52 AM

You could make a lovely case for them with a scrap of batting and some scraps of lovely fabric...just make them to fit width wise and straight stitch together....
Old 01-28-2011, 06:53 AM
Power Poster

What a fun way to aid in your fabric purchases:)
Old 01-28-2011, 06:57 AM

What a nifty idea!! Thanks for the tip!
Old 01-28-2011, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by Tink's Mom
You could make a lovely case for them with a scrap of batting and some scraps of lovely fabric...just make them to fit width wise and straight stitch together....
I think I'll do exactly that. I'll select multiple colors - probably to the side of gaudy, so that the case will serve as a good demonstration piece of the purpose of the red lenses. Good values on one side, good colors with poor values on the other side.

Values are important when selecting fabric - one never knows when a color blind individual will be looking at your work. The contrast in value is all they really see.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:21 AM

Oh, Don't we get a picture of you in your new specs??? LOL
Old 01-28-2011, 08:46 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by olebat
Originally Posted by Tink's Mom
I think I'll do exactly that. I'll select multiple colors - probably to the side of gaudy, so that the case will serve as a good demonstration piece of the purpose of the red lenses. Good values on one side, good colors with poor values on the other side.

Values are important when selecting fabric - one never knows when a color blind individual will be looking at your work. The contrast in value is all they really see.
I love both of these ideas :D the glasses and the two sided case :D:D:D
Old 01-28-2011, 08:50 AM

Great idea! There's pattern for a glasses case somewhere. I thought it was on the board, but I may be wrong. I printed it out so I know it exists! Can't find it though. How helpful is that to you or me? :oops:
Old 01-28-2011, 09:24 AM

Oh what a fun idea. Do you suppose I could find some to clip on my regular glasses?
Old 01-28-2011, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by lauriejo
Oh what a fun idea. Do you suppose I could find some to clip on my regular glasses?
I have seen the rose colored clip-ons, but like my new hearts, they're rather pale. I remembered the Galaxy glass paints. They are self leveling, so I could pour the red paint on the glasses and get a deeper tone.

The red cellophane I had was just taped onto those cardboard glasses. I don't remember if they were the ones from the ophthalmologist or an old pair of 3-D specs. They were flat, light, and tucked into my swatch book easily. I guess it's experimentation time.