Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Looking for help for mini mat project >

Looking for help for mini mat project

Looking for help for mini mat project

Old 04-16-2016, 06:03 PM

Default Looking for help for mini mat project

Hi everybody,
I volunteered to make new mats to go under the mikes used by our condo board. I thought it would give me some quilting practice and replacements are badly needed. They will be about 8" by 8" and I need to make 8. Am I better off quilting one big piece and cutting it down or sandwiching eight little mats? I will bind each one. (More practice!) But won't hand sew the binding.
Thanks in advance,
lots2do
Old 04-16-2016, 06:42 PM

I would do as a large and then cut down and then do a tight zig zag around edge--the 8x8" will be little tricky to bind.
Old 04-16-2016, 08:13 PM
Power Poster

8 inch doesn't give you much hand room for quilting. I would do 2 - 18 inch sandwich squares. I would mark sandwiches into sections and try different designs in each square. I would then cut them to size and bind them.
Old 04-17-2016, 12:14 AM

I just made pot holders that were 8 X 8, just did cross hatch quilting and then bound them by machine with no problems. Here is a pic of them[ATTACH=CONFIG]547947[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg  
Old 04-17-2016, 02:40 AM

If you made a quilt sandwich that is the size of all eight mats your need and drew the squares on the sandwich it would give you opportunity to quilt something different in each square. Cut them apart with your rotary cutter and you will have straight edges and square corners to bind. If you try to do intricate quilting (practicing FMQ) on eight inch squares you will not be able to keep them square and easy to bind. Generally, when people make pot holders the quilting is very simple-lines or crosshatching. They are most often made a little larger than the finished size and cut down to facilitate binding.
Old 04-17-2016, 04:49 AM

Thank you all! I can always count on the Quilting Board!
lots2do
Old 04-17-2016, 07:01 AM
Power Poster

I think this one nailed it. this is way I would do it. Or do 4 at a time. Less space.
Originally Posted by quilterpurpledog View Post
If you made a quilt sandwich that is the size of all eight mats your need and drew the squares on the sandwich it would give you opportunity to quilt something different in each square. Cut them apart with your rotary cutter and you will have straight edges and square corners to bind. If you try to do intricate quilting (practicing FMQ) on eight inch squares you will not be able to keep them square and easy to bind. Generally, when people make pot holders the quilting is very simple-lines or crosshatching. They are most often made a little larger than the finished size and cut down to facilitate binding.
Old 04-17-2016, 07:14 AM
Power Poster

I would make a large quilt sandwich and just quilt something simple like crosshatching. Binding an 8" square isn't that difficult. That is larger than my mug rug I make.
Old 01-12-2017, 01:52 PM

Hello again!
I've finally made my eight mats. Now I'm ready to bind them. Would you go the regular double binding route or single? I want them to look as nice as possible. I have plenty of binding fabric on hand and don't mind using it up.
Thanks!
Old 01-12-2017, 02:38 PM

I use my regular double fold binding method on the mug rugs and pot holders. For that matter, I use it for wall-hangings, too. Don't think I've ever used single.