Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
looking for help with my vision >

looking for help with my vision

looking for help with my vision

Old 01-14-2017, 05:45 PM

Default looking for help with my vision

I have started a group at my church to make quilts for the pastors to give when they visit patients at hospitals and so on. My question is, Is there fabric manufacturers that will donate some material for this? I have some that I am going to donate but looking for info. Thanks for your help
Old 01-15-2017, 10:51 PM

My quilt guild had has large donations for two different charitable projects--so yes. You just need to contact them and let them know the purpose,etc. You might also ask the congregation for donations of fabric or $$ to go toward the project.
Old 01-16-2017, 01:56 AM

That is so sweet of you. One of our local hospitals has a "passage quilts" program where every terminally ill patient receives a quilt. After the patient passes, the quilt is given to the family. They go through about 40 a month. The group that makes them meets once a month and takes donations anywhere they can get them. Most donations come from other quilters. There are a few angels who purchase fabric and batting on clearance for the group. One angel in particular has gold wings - she owns 2 longarms, one of which is computerized. She works full-time as a nurse and manages to quilt 2 quilts a day on most days.

The most touching part is the wall of thank-you notes from the families, posted in the storage room where the quilts are stored until they're taken to their new owners. It's enough to make you want to do nothing but make quilts all day and all night.
There was a patient who the nurses couldn't quite figure out - he was non-communicative, until his sister told a nurse that he was a widower and very attached to his cat, who unfortunately had to be re-homed because her owner was dying. He really missed his kitty and was depressed. The nurse found a quilt with cats on it, which brought him great comfort.
There was a little boy whose mom had breast cancer. He picked out a quilt with an apple print for her, because he loved apples. This one made me bawl like a baby, because my youngest son at the time was the same age and also loved apples.

Put the word out among your guilds and local quilt shops that you're starting up this program. Check your local thrift stores for fabric and sheets. I think you'll be swimming in fabric (and helpers!) before you know it.

Last edited by Peckish; 01-16-2017 at 01:58 AM.
Old 01-16-2017, 08:05 AM

Tomara, you could even ask for blocks in this QB. Ask for a specific size and I think you'd hear from lots of folks who'd be willing to help. I'm more willing to participate if the postage is minimal. Also a promise of posting the finished quilt spurs me on to help.
Old 01-16-2017, 09:53 AM

I am part of such a group in our church. Once the group formed, fabric started to mysteriously appear in our quilting room. We have enough that we only need to buy flannel for backing. Church members even donated old sewing machines for interested people who had no machines. We don't advertise who we give our quilts to but we do have our quilts blessed in a church service which allows the members to see what we do. This also inspires people to donate to our group. I think you will be surprised at what you get in donations. Good Luck
Old 01-16-2017, 09:55 AM

Default help in getting started thank you

Thank you ladies!! Any help would be help full. Here are 2 that I made to get us started. I am thinking 10 in squares would be a nice size. But willing to work with any size. Also material too!! Any help would be welcomed. Again thank you so much ladies!!!
May God bless you
Attached Thumbnails 20161111_112530-green-throw.jpg   20161212_142608.jpg  
Old 01-16-2017, 10:50 AM
Power Poster

A friend and I do a community quilting class every month. It's free and we get donations of fabric to use for quilts to give away. Wlamart gives us a gift card to use for supplies so check there too. You will need to have the pastor sign a reaquest for fabric or funds on the church letter head paper. This makes it much easier for companies to donate and have it on file as non profit. A personal request is usually not accepted by big companies or manufacturers. Also thread companies will send thread if requests are made for a legit non profit.