Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
looking for help with stained glass quilt/wall hanging >

looking for help with stained glass quilt/wall hanging

looking for help with stained glass quilt/wall hanging

Old 04-06-2009, 06:14 AM
Dkm

Start by making a pattern of the window. You already have what you need with the leading lines to design . Take a Sharpie marker and make the lines (lead lines) a little larger.Use freezer paper for you original pattern and then for cutting each piece. Number each piece on the original pattern and transfer onto the background piece. This will keep you from putting something in the wrong place. Use a full cut of black for the background. Then cut individual pieces(different colors) for the glass. Use wonder under for attaching pieces. Layer backing, batting and background. Sew around each piece with clear thread. This doesn't have to be done, but then quilt inside each piece with matching colors. Square up and bind.

I have used this method and have some beautiful wall hangings. It does require some work, but boy the results .....WOW.
Old 04-06-2009, 07:51 AM

I have done stained glass several ways but the way I think would be easier is as follows: Like you said, take a photo and enlarge it to the size you would like. Buy fusible stabilizer/interfacing; trace the pieces on freezer paper and iron on the fabric pieces; cut out and place. After you have a few placed where you want them, iron them on.

I use the iron on tape sewn with a double needle in black. Watch how you do this. Start with the background first and work to the front.

With sewing on the tape, this will also quilt it for you. Can't wait to see the finished projec.
Old 04-06-2009, 12:50 PM
Dkm

As they say a picture is worth a thousand words. I thought you might like a picture of the process that I used.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-26281.jpe  
Old 04-06-2009, 01:09 PM

That's gorgeous!
Old 04-06-2009, 01:38 PM

those pics are sooo cool!!! I hope my project turns out half as well. I have pics now, off to LQS this week end to start getting some colors. I have some of them but I want to get them all together before I start cuytting it out.
Old 04-12-2009, 05:51 AM

Barb,
Sounds like you have a wonderful idea.
If you want it to look like reverse applique, you can take a piece of black fabric, cut each piece out and fuse it in place on the black fabric, then take the sewing machine and clear thread and do the pin stitch around each piece. This is much quicker than doing the bias stripes and it looks really good. You will need to make a pattern from your picture, then make cutting template for each piece and a placement template.
Old 04-12-2009, 09:41 AM
Power Poster

Barbm, I can't wait to see your quilt...hurry...hurry... :D :D :D
BlueChicken and Dkm I really like your stained glass quilts :D :D :D