Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Looking for ideas to get a lot of fabric sold for MIL in financial trouble. >
  • Looking for ideas to get a lot of fabric sold for MIL in financial trouble.

• Looking for ideas to get a lot of fabric sold for MIL in financial trouble.

Old 03-25-2011, 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by luvnquilt
    Thank you all for the great suggestions. I wouldn't have thought of guilds so I'll make some inquiries to some local guilds and see if they are willing to let an outsider sell for great prices :) I can't sell in the huge amounts that we have to deal with right now but if we can get the bulk down, I'll see if they're ok with that. And thank you for the well wishes, it's hard to see people unable to care for themselves and not willing to accept help until it's too late!
    A couple of times my guild has carried an "advertisement" if you can call it that for a member who has to downsize or other reasons. The seller sort of turns her house into a one day "shop". This might work better than a yard sale when there is such a large amount to be sold. The expectations at yard sales is to pick up stuff for pennies or less.
    Old 03-26-2011, 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by BETTY62
    Since you have a lot of fabric, I think you would do better if you had a fabric sale separate from a garage sale. With a fabric sale, most peole expect to pay a fair price below retail. At a yard sale, they expect to pay pennies on the dollar.
    I agree - a fabric sale will bring in folks who appreciate fabric & will pay more than garage sale buyers.

A friend of mine who buys in quantity for her guild sells lots of extra. She orders oodles to get a good price, then sells what they don't need by renting an inexpensive room somewhere - grange hall, church basement, etc. She charges $4.00/yd plus adds .25 cents/yd to help cover room rental space. All the fabric is same price for simplicity's sake.
    I wish you well - let us know how it works for you.
    Jan