Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Looking for ideas for a quilt of wool

Hi all, I find myself with quite a lot of nice wool fabric, mostly plaids, this is left from my sewing( non quilter days) and wondered if any of you might have and idea or pattern for a quilt using that fabric.
    thanks, Keolika ( Rita)

How about 10" squares or 9 patch using large squares.

i love working with wool! oh my goodness. you can make a patch work quilt...like 6" squares, you can do an appliqued wool quilt ... visit the cotton patch quilt shoppe's web site she has some really cool ones to look at and get some ideas. and if you visit the link for the customer show and tell my black wool appliqued quilt is there :)
    when you type in the shop it is the one in East Tawas Michigan. also, primative gatherings is a great place for ideas...sue spargo does alot of what i kind of think of as modern wool stuff, if you have never heard of Sue you definitly need to visit her site and see what she is all about!
    have fun what ever you decide to do.
    oh and by the way the first thing you do with your wool fabric to use in a quilt is put it in the washer...hot water, small amount detergent...wash...lots of agitation -- rinse in cold, toss in dryer...hot... when the wool comes out it is ready to cut up and use in quilted projects.

http://www.powerhousemuseum.com/coll...base/?irn=9595
    We call them Waggas down here - Cheers, Rain

i have never quilted with wool

Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl
    i love working with wool! oh my goodness. you can make a patch work quilt...like 6" squares, you can do an appliqued wool quilt ... visit the cotton patch quilt shoppe's web site she has some really cool ones to look at and get some ideas. and if you visit the link for the customer show and tell my black wool appliqued quilt is there :)
    when you type in the shop it is the one in East Tawas Michigan. also, primative gatherings is a great place for ideas...sue spargo does alot of what i kind of think of as modern wool stuff, if you have never heard of Sue you definitly need to visit her site and see what she is all about!
    have fun what ever you decide to do.
    oh and by the way the first thing you do with your wool fabric to use in a quilt is put it in the washer...hot water, small amount detergent...wash...lots of agitation -- rinse in cold, toss in dryer...hot... when the wool comes out it is ready to cut up and use in quilted projects.
    Wow, thanks for all the ideas and information, I think maybe the most important one was the wash in hot water one. I will follow up and look at your links, thanks much, keolika

We have a quilt that was made from wool suits (or the left over fabric). Found it covering the bed springs when cleaning out DH's grandma's house. The quilt is just 8 or 9 inch blocks and backed with,I think, flannel. It is VERY heavy. Not sure you could sleep under it due to the weight. I just couldn't see it going to the trash.

Pat

There are a lot of wool applique type quilt patterns available if you're into hand work. Also, penny wool rugs are making a come back too.