Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Looking for ideas: What can I do with these pieces of fabric? >

Looking for ideas: What can I do with these pieces of fabric?

Looking for ideas: What can I do with these pieces of fabric?

Old 07-16-2015, 02:06 PM

Default Looking for ideas: What can I do with these pieces of fabric?

Hi everyone

After being a lurker for a long time, I decided to register and say a big 'thank you' to all the members of this great forum. I'm a newbie who recently did my first attempt to make a quilt, encouraged by the view of those beautiful things you're able to do.

As a newbie, I still work mainly with cheap or donated fabrics (mostly from my mother's stash) until I become more self-confident for cutting/sewing good-quality materials.

My mother gave me an oddly shaped piece of fabric, which was donated to her some years ago by a friend. I cuted it in some 'panels' because I thought it was more useful to work with. Now I'd like to do something pretty with them...

They reminds me of faux red work (although they're printed, not embroidered), and have some 'vintage touch' that I like. They measure about 18 cms x 30 cms, although they are not all exactly the same size. I tried to save all the fabric that I could for each one.

I also have some leftovers, some dolls that are not complete, but maybe I can use them as scraps for other projects.

Please, could you give me some ideas? Many thanks in advance.

P.S. Sorry for my English, I'm writting from Spain! I'll do my best for improving my poor language skills.[ATTACH=CONFIG]525315[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails nines.jpg  
Old 07-16-2015, 02:10 PM

Welcome from Nebraska. Those are really cute pieces you have. Someone more creative than I am will give you some good ideas for using these "little dolls". Just wanted to say hi. By the way, your language is excellent I think. No apologies needed.
Old 07-16-2015, 02:16 PM

Thank you very much, suern3

I'm excited to be part of this group, and I hope to learn a lot of all you.
Old 07-16-2015, 02:30 PM

Welcome from Southern California! My first thought was to find a fabric to frame each one and make them one size. From there you can find maybe put them in 3 rows of 3, then add additional borders to compliment the Since I don't know how big the pictures are, I am not sure if you want to make a small blanket or a wall hanging. It looks like it would make a darling doll blanket for a little girl or a collector of dolls.
Old 07-16-2015, 02:31 PM
Power Poster

Welcome from Ontario, Canada. The blocks would look great pieced into some quilt blocks surrounded by red and off white fabric. LeaAnee over at www.podunkpretties.blogspot.ca showed the vintage looking blocks she is working on surrounding them with gingham fabrics. You might do something similar?
Old 07-16-2015, 02:41 PM

Hi and welcome to the quilting board. I agree with bordering them first to get them all to the same size, then it would depend on how big you want it to be. The dolls are adorable!
Old 07-16-2015, 02:45 PM

Welcome from Tennessee in the USA. My first thought was to put 3 or 4 small blocks, maybe pinwheels along one side of each to make square blocks. Then build your quilt with or without borders. We would love to see what you come up with
Old 07-16-2015, 03:05 PM

Welcome, such cute dolls, anything you end up doing will be adorable!!!!
Old 07-16-2015, 03:21 PM

Thanks, everyone. I think the pieces are not big enough to make a quilt by themselves... I like the idea of framing, but I still would need to add some more fabrics to get at least a baby-quilt size.

Oh, Tartan, I LOVE those Podunk Pretties blocks! I thought that I would find some brilliant ideas here, and now I'm sure I was right!

What I find more difficult to work with is their shape (they are rectangles instead of squares) but I'm seeing that Podunk Pretties adds frames in differents sizes to each side. Good idea, yes!

The idea of using pinwheels to get them squared seems also interesting.

One more question: What colors would you use in the frames and the rest of the quilt? Should I choose only red/white fabrics to follow the line? Or it would be better to include another colors to break the monotony?

Good night everyone, it's too late here... I'll follow reading you tomorrow
Old 07-16-2015, 03:38 PM

If you added sashing and placed them 3 x 3 would that make a rectangular size baby quilt? You could use them in the center and put some pieced blocks around the sides if it needed to be larger.