Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Looking, looking, looking >

Looking, looking, looking

Looking, looking, looking

Old 11-02-2013, 08:52 AM

Default Looking, looking, looking

I want to make blocks out of the monstrous pile of selvages I have been collecting and I know I've seen samples of blocks somewhere - were they here? If so, could someone please lead me to them? I've tried the search but come up only with selvage issues used along with normal piecing. I'm mainly interested in how much fabric do you leave attatached to the selvage. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 11-02-2013, 09:54 AM
Power Poster

Maybe this link will help:
http://www.nancyzieman.com/blog/quil...e-quilt-block/
Old 11-04-2013, 12:02 PM

Lots of ideas here: http://selvageblog.blogspot.com/
Old 11-05-2013, 03:21 AM

I have also been collecting selvedges for a quilt, and I keep as much fabric attached as needed to fully see the pattern of the fabric. So some of my strips are only an inch wide, and others are several inches wide. Selvedge quilts tend to be very heavy. A friend made a gorgeous one, with strips foundation pieced onto muslin, and it was quite heavy. She suggested instead of muslin, to use the thin sheeting used to line underground drainage pipes. I bought a roll of it at Lowe's and have used it to make several blocks. It weighs absolutely nothing, so I think this should work fine. It comes in different widths, and is very inexpensive, considering how much you get on a roll (Tons! It's very thin, so there's a lot on a roll). I bought a roll which is 24" wide (that's what the label says, but it's actually not quite that wide), and am making my blocks 12" wide.
Old 11-05-2013, 03:41 AM
Power Poster

I've seen several books at JoAnns and my LQS for many different projects. I've been toying with the idea of making a tuffet since they tend to be heavy (depending on the foundation used of course).