Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Looking for a machine

I want a light weight machine to carry to classes and retreats. I don't want it to have a lot of fancy features, I just want one with straight stitch and maybe a few more. I want one with a front load bobbin.

Anyone have any recommendations?

I love my Singer featherweight. Its small and light. Only has straight stitch.
    Judy in OHio

Blog Entries
    I have a Featherweight but I usually take my Janome Gem to classes. I would check out the Kenmores portable machines. They are very nice and great value for the price.

The rummage sale that my mother volunteers at in Jersey just got a featherweight in...
    They are checking it today to see if it works or not....

But for new machines a lot of ladies that meet at the sewing store I go to uses a Janome Gem. It's compact but packs a punch! I strong arm my big machine around with me - okay, not my REALLY big machine lol that one weighs 70 lbs - but my 4900qc I just put her in a rolling case and go - but I can see how having a 3/4 size machine for retreats would be sweet!

I'm not sure about the other companies out there but I know Janome makes one just for this kind of situation and all the women that I know that have them love theirs!

Super Member Baren*eh*ked_canadian's Avatar
    My mother has a really basic Brother, and she's very happy with it.
    I would recommend a Kenmore, I love them I have 2.

I have a little Janome Gold and I love it. It doesn't weigh much and it comes with a tapestry bag.

My Kenmore is light weight.

Thanks everyone!!

I recently went to a retreat and a lady there had a Quilters Machine model
    #1740 form White. It was great, she said she had bought it on HSN and loved it. I have been on the White website but you can't order directly from them. They list Joanns and Hancock as dealers but I can't pull one up
    on Joanns website. I am going to call the Hancock store that is about 3 hrs. from me tomorrow and ask about it.