Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Looking at machines >

Looking at machines

Looking at machines

Old 06-15-2014, 01:46 PM

Default Looking at machines

I am thinking about buying the Viking 960Q. Does anyone have one? How about pros and cons on the machine? Please let me know what you think?
Old 06-15-2014, 03:09 PM

I have two what are called now vintage Viking machines - both are from the mid '70's. I have had one since it was new and the other I purchased a few years ago from a friend who could no longer sew. I use that at our winter home. I have loved those machines. I recently purchased a new quilting sewing machine - one with a large harp area. I did not purchase a Viking not because I wasn't happy with a Viking but I wasn't happy with the dealership near our summer home and there isn't a Viking dealer close to my winter home. I can't answer your question on the particular Viking machine you are asking about but I am pleased with my Janome 8900qcp. I don't know what other machines you are looking at but for me I need to feel comfortable with the dealership as well as the machine.

Good luck in your shopping. It is almost like shopping for a car with the comparison and price negotiation involved.
Old 06-16-2014, 02:36 AM

I have a Viking Platinum @ 10+ years old. Sews like a charm. Can't speak about the specific machine you are looking at, but I love the one I have. No problems whatsoever with it.
Old 06-16-2014, 11:24 AM

I've had 3 Vikings. I love them. The first one was "the rose model" bought in the '90s. It was the first good machine i ever bought--made sewing seem like a breeze to this occasional sewer. Don't have it any more since I traded it in on an upgrade, but learned my lesson, Now I have a computerized one with embroidery, but kept the old one too. The warranties are excellent and the repair guy/gals always seem to know what they are doing.
Old 06-17-2014, 12:52 AM

I have the Sapphire Quilt and its a lovely machine. Incredibly easy to use and lovely stitching.