Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Looking for Modern Sunbonnet Sue patterns >

Looking for Modern Sunbonnet Sue patterns

Looking for Modern Sunbonnet Sue patterns

Old 11-12-2013, 06:53 PM

Default Looking for Modern Sunbonnet Sue patterns

Some years ago, I saw a series of Sunbonnet Sue -- pictures? blocks? Not sure. They were different from the traditional Sunbonnet Sue. Instead of showing her hanging up the wash, etc., they depicted a modern Sue. She was a doctor or a lawyer with the briefcase, etc. Does this ring a bell with anyone? I would LOVE to make a quilt with those images, even though I am not crazy about applique.

There is a website by someone known as Modern Sunbonnet Sue, but she does not have anything like what I am seeking.

Thanks for any help you can give.
Old 11-12-2013, 06:56 PM

Watching to see what you find. My daughter wants a sunbonnet sue quilt, she is a nurse.....and I think that a modern Sue would be great!
Old 11-12-2013, 08:54 PM
Banned

Google....dozens and dozens of Sues there.
Old 11-13-2013, 03:12 AM

Try googling "doctor sunbonnet sue." I thought you might be thinking of bad sue. There's at least one page of those.
Old 11-13-2013, 10:23 AM

Hi Gramma Nancy
There is a quilt called Ms Sue-Alive and Liberated. I saw it years ago in “Quilting Together” by Paula Nadelstern and LynNell Hancock. I can’t find a picture of it online, but it does fit the description you give. I only clearly remember 2 blocks from the quilt - Sue modestly sunbathing at a nude beach (using her hat of course) and Sue throwing her hat into the ring when running for president. Other blocks depicted Sue in non-traditional (women’s) jobs, playing a sport or doing something adventurous.
I know there are other quilts like this - there is an interesting article I found on ‘google books’ that discusses SBS quilts (written by Linda Pershing.) Hope you find what you are looking for. If you find any pictures, please post the link.
Are you making one? I love story quilts (influenced by Ms. Sue and the Harriet Powers quilt.)
Lefty
Old 11-13-2013, 11:40 AM

I ordered a book from Walmart online that is called International Sunbonnet Sue. It is delightful and fun. You might look at this. It is modern and all the Sunbonnet Sues have lovely costumes on.
Old 11-13-2013, 02:11 PM
Power Poster

I love SS and this sounds very cute. I haven't seen nor heard about the modern Sues.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:15 PM

I have been googling and I haven't found anything even close to a modern Sunbonnet Sue. I sure like the idea though. If someone finds a pattern, please let us know!

Dina
Old 11-13-2013, 08:20 PM
Power Poster

I have some thoroughly unique Sues but I am very sure those are NOT what you had in mind. LOL
Old 11-13-2013, 09:12 PM

MadQuilter, your Sues were the best I've ever seen, hands down! I love, love, loved them! I realize that your particular "theme" is not for everyone, but the creativity and skilled sewing were outstanding! I was just thinking about them the other day, in fact. I'll be watching this thread because I would like to find some modern SBS patterns too. I saw the International SBS book at Joanne's and it looked really cute -- but it isn't exactly what I was looking for.