Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Looking for a new machine for granddaughter, ???help??? >

Looking for a new machine for granddaughter, ???help???

Looking for a new machine for granddaughter, ???help???

Old 12-04-2015, 06:50 PM
Banned

Though I am a huge fan of Brother machines, the new Juki HZL29Z is a good rugged little mechanical machine that's easy to operate. I own the HZL27Z, which this new model replaced. I was really surprised at how tough it is. It's on sale right now at my local Brother dealer for less than Amazons price.

Cari
Old 12-04-2015, 07:22 PM

I like the Janomes, but the cheap Brothers seem to hold up pretty well also. We use WalMart Brothers at our quilt museum, and they've held up over 5 years or so with lots of use by kids. A Featherweight is pretty awesome, though.
Old 12-05-2015, 06:18 AM

I suggested this on another thread. Joanns has a Janome for about $70 and a carrying case for about $30. It comes in a variety of colors. I just bought my granddaughter a hot pink one for Christmas.
Old 12-05-2015, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
You can get Janomes pretty reasonable. They want something that works for them. Got my niece a Janome for $50.00 on sale. I would get her something that has an easy manual read. Many mention the Janome Gem. I got my niece the Janome 123. Manual was easy for her and she now trouble shoots herself. She's 10 going on 11 in Feb. She maintains her own also. Many threads here on machines for the young beginner.
I bought the Janome 124, the Mini Sew, for $50. I do not like to sew on it. It makes more noise and doesn't work easily. It would not produce a contented seamstress. I think it is for someone who just needs to close a ripped seam once in a while. The Janome Gem may be a different story. I've never sewn on one, but think they are better quality.
Old 12-05-2015, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by SuziSew View Post
I just suggested this on another thread. It's a Janome at Bed Bath & Beyond (online) for $70, I think you can use a coupon for it and it comes in several cool colors.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/stor...s?ta=typeahead
Vanessa with Crafty Gemini and who works with Jenny at Missouri Star Quilt Co has 2 daughters and each has one of these machines. My granddaughter is only 5 but I was thinking this would be a great machine for her later.
Old 12-06-2015, 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by SuziSew View Post
I just suggested this on another thread. It's a Janome at Bed Bath & Beyond (online) for $70, I think you can use a coupon for it and it comes in several cool colors.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/stor...s?ta=typeahead
They look great for a young starter, so I thought I would check the cost in the UK: Wow, I wonder why machines are so much more expensive here!