Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Looking for a new machine for granddaughter, ???help??? >

Looking for a new machine for granddaughter, ???help???

Looking for a new machine for granddaughter, ???help???

Old 12-03-2015, 08:03 AM

Default Looking for a new machine for granddaughter, ???help???

My 10 yr old Granddaughter, 'seems' to have taken an interest in sewing...however, I have seen other interests, go by the wayside. I'd like to get an inexpensive little machine. It should be a 'good' one, I mean no bobbin, threading or correct stitching issues. I bought a 'kids' machine a few years back for another granddaughter, and it was not worth anything! She got too frustrated, with it & gave up. I'd like this experience to be better than that!
Any luck out there with 'kids' machines??
Old 12-03-2015, 08:10 AM
Power Poster

You can get Janomes pretty reasonable. They want something that works for them. Got my niece a Janome for $50.00 on sale. I would get her something that has an easy manual read. Many mention the Janome Gem. I got my niece the Janome 123. Manual was easy for her and she now trouble shoots herself. She's 10 going on 11 in Feb. She maintains her own also. Many threads here on machines for the young beginner.
Old 12-03-2015, 08:10 AM
Power Poster

http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...d-t272776.html
Old 12-03-2015, 10:19 AM
Power Poster

The inexpensive Brother machines ( about $89 at Walmart) are great beginner machines) they have speed control, are easy to learn/ use and hold up. I bought one for my youngest granddaughter when she was 4, she's 14 now & still loves and uses her machine. Makes clothes, purses, toys, crafts, all kinds of projects, even a quilt once in a while
Old 12-03-2015, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
The inexpensive Brother machines ( about $89 at Walmart) are great beginner machines) they have speed control, are easy to learn/ use and hold up. I bought one for my youngest granddaughter when she was 4, she's 14 now & still loves and uses her machine. Makes clothes, purses, toys, crafts, all kinds of projects, even a quilt once in a while
This is the way I would go. I love my walmart brother it is awesome
Old 12-03-2015, 09:37 PM

Absolutely right! I have two of the Brother mechanicals and two computerized Brother machines. The mechanicals are fine, documentation is great, and sew very well. Each has a number of stitches so the beginner can have some fun playing with them, but not so many that a beginner is overwhelmed with the thought of learning them all.

And, of course, the price is right!
Old 12-04-2015, 12:02 AM

Walmart has a great sale going on right now. Check out their on-line prices. They have several priced below $100.
Old 12-04-2015, 07:12 AM

My granddaughter Lily is 8 years old, and she has shown absolutely no interest in any of my newer machines. She does however LOVE to sew using my FW! Right now she is at a stage where even though she likes making stuffed animals, she prefers to get an idea (such as making a hat for my dog), then attempt to make it using my scraps. Her ideas don't always work out, but I've found that by not pushing her, she's having fun playing around with "her" machine and she IS learning from her mistakes. 😃

Donna
Old 12-04-2015, 07:41 AM
Power Poster

What ever they take a shine to is the one. Making sure it works and is not complicated to understand is what counts. Something that is easy for them to figure out if a little non-working situation arises.
Old 12-04-2015, 05:55 PM

I just suggested this on another thread. It's a Janome at Bed Bath & Beyond (online) for $70, I think you can use a coupon for it and it comes in several cool colors.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/stor...s?ta=typeahead