Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Looking for a pattern I saw here! >

Looking for a pattern I saw here!

Looking for a pattern I saw here!

Old 11-15-2009, 05:25 AM

Gilla, thanks for asking and thanks all for your responses. I love this quilt. Gilla, I printed the pattern and it is actually very easy...I think even I could do this one. All 2 1/2 inch strips. I probably won't have access to that gradiated fabric the designer used, but being careful with fabric selection should allow replication of the designs. Susie, thanks also for your photo. It shows a vartiation with the same concept. It would be fun to make a lot of blocks and then play with layout in a larger size like this.
Old 11-15-2009, 06:23 AM
DJ

Susiequilt ~ That's beautiful! Looks like MaJong!

I have a question about the pattern instructions ... What does it mean by: "Important: Before cutting sgtrips, cut values apart at cut line." ?

Thanks!
Old 11-15-2009, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by susiequilt
What looks like one big block is actually 4 blocks.
The ones that look like they are on top of each other are actually 3 blocks of one color and the 4th block is a different color or a block turned a different direction.
Take a couple of pieces of paper and make 8 blocks 4 each of two colors. Just make them small and color them. rearrange them and you will see what I mean.

HTH
:D
This is exactly what I am looking for. Maybe I am visually impaired, but I still can't see what you are doing. After church this afternoon I will actually draw these and see what you suggested.

Here I am starting another project and I still have a couple of UFOs sitting here, waiting...

Gilla
Old 11-15-2009, 06:36 AM

just be sure when you cut your strips,

you cut one strip, then flip the fabric around, and cut another strip, repeat..at least this was the directions for a quilt i did last year..it was supposed to keep the strips from getting all wonky..i am trying to find a picture of the quilt, and remember the name of it too...CRS..lol

it was all done like a log cabin, big large blocks, some were left, and some were cut in half crossways..and attached to the larger blocks..
man, that sounds complicated,doesn't it..i will find the picture..
Old 11-15-2009, 07:57 AM

When you are talking about a block, are you talking about the center block, or the block made up of strips? It also looks like it is only half of a full log cabin block, is that right?
I went back to her website. She also sells fabrics. Did you get your fabrics from her or did you buy them elsewhere?
I am a little confused about the fabric. Is she talking about 11" strips made up into one yard of graduating colors? She has some beautiful combination at $9 per yard?
How am I going to convince my DH that I need more fabric. Oh brother!!
Old 11-15-2009, 08:35 AM
Power Poster

I drew the four block layout in EQ. Maybe that will help with a visual.

Attached Thumbnails attachment-1641.bmp  
Old 11-15-2009, 08:43 AM

I could draw it but dont know how to post pics

draw a log cabin block on a piece of paper, draw several in the colors you want, turn them till it matchs the pic

hope it works ;)
Old 11-15-2009, 12:39 PM

Great graphic, BellaBoo. That shows the block nicely.

The pattern was made from varigated fabric from the designer that goes from a light to dark value in one piece of fabric. For example, the brown is all one fabric, and every 11 inches it goes from light brown to medium light, then medium dark and finally dark. The pattern says to cut your yardage where the value changes and then cut your strips. So for the sample quilt you would be buying just three varigated fabrics for the blocks (brown, blue, green). But when you cut each fabric apart where the value changes, it functions as four fabrics for cutting your strips.

You can get the same effect by carefully choosing four browns with varying values, four blues, etc. You don't have to use that varigated fabric from the designer unles you are trying to match that pattern exactly.

The photo Susie posted shows what you can do with same pattern concept but build it out with different colors. It looks like there are a lot of ways to play with this block and layout.
Old 11-15-2009, 12:51 PM

Boy, I must be dense! I did not see your download until Teacup rubbed my nose in it. Thank you. Much clearer now. i really got it now. Woopee!!!!

Gilla
Old 11-15-2009, 01:51 PM

The more I look at your sample. the more I like it. The colors are beautiful. Are these fabrics from Karen Comb's website or did you get them at your LQS? Did you make a completed quilt out of this?

If so, please put up a picture. I'd like to see it finished.

Thank you!

Gilla