Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Looking for this pattern paper-pieced >

Looking for this pattern paper-pieced

Looking for this pattern paper-pieced

Old 07-01-2014, 09:11 AM

Default Looking for this pattern paper-pieced

OK, this is just fabric folded and placed atop; looking for a paper pieced pattern for this in 10" or 12"? Would like strips to be finished 1". Also would like suggestions for the background. I have lots of variety of black and white and grey and whit fabric. Would you do the square and each round of triangles in in separate pattern? All the same or every piece just random? Any pics of similar for what I am trying to visualize? Hey, thanks!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]481173[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails photo-1-.jpg  
Old 07-01-2014, 10:04 AM

try here. she has a lot of paper pieced blocks
http://www.quilterscache.com/
Old 07-01-2014, 10:11 AM
Power Poster

This would be really easy to draft yourself for PP. Say you want to finish at 10". Draw a 10" square and mark the center point on each side. Draw a second square inside with each corner of the square touching your marked center points. Draw a 1" border inside that then mark the center points of that square. Continue for the next inside round. Once you have it drawn out you have your PP pattern. You can make multiple copies by gluing 4 or 5 sheets behind your drawn piece. You only want a drop of glue to keep the papers from shifting, then sew with an unthreaded needle through all sheets using your drawn pattern or you can go to an office supply store and make copies.

For your background I would use the same fabric for each block but if you want to mix and match for the other blocks I think that would look great proved each background is the same value of black/white/gray print.
Old 07-01-2014, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
This would be really easy to draft yourself for PP. Say you want to finish at 10". Draw a 10" square and mark the center point on each side. Draw a second square inside with each corner of the square touching your marked center points. Draw a 1" border inside that then mark the center points of that square. Continue for the next inside round. Once you have it drawn out you have your PP pattern. You can make multiple copies by gluing 4 or 5 sheets behind your drawn piece. You only want a drop of glue to keep the papers from shifting, then sew with an unthreaded needle through all sheets using your drawn pattern or you can go to an office supply store and make copies.

For your background I would use the same fabric for each block but if you want to mix and match for the other blocks I think that would look great proved each background is the same value of black/white/gray print.
Thank you! I am excited about using up the b&w's and a whole bunch of stips given to me and in a design that will appeal to my engineer husband. Only downside is he is color blind and most of my strips are in the greens that he does not see. I do have some of his favorite cobalt blue and yellows to mis around, though.
Old 07-01-2014, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by KSue View Post
try here. she has a lot of paper pieced blocks
http://www.quilterscache.com/
Thank you!
Old 07-02-2014, 05:49 AM
Power Poster

I would try to keep it with the standard paper size. If you have a scanner, just scan your drawing and print the number of copies you require. I haven't been to a copy store in along time so I am not sure if there is any paper that will print 12.5" unfinished block. If so, it will be much more expensive. This is when Electric Quilt comes in real handy. If you are not able to get this drawn, send me a PM and I will draw it on EQ. All I will need to know is the size of you center square and the finish sizes of your strips.
Old 07-03-2014, 04:15 AM

If you need larger size paper and don't want to go to Officemax, Staples or Office Depot and pay a higher price get some newsprint from a store that has moving supplies and cut it to the size you want. The paper was not very expensive. We are getting ready to move and I had some for packing dishes, etc. when that thought struck me. So I took some of the sheets and rolled them up and secured them with a rubber band and will pack them with my quilting stuff. I have frequently wished I had larger paper than regular office paper-now I do.
Old 07-04-2014, 04:32 AM

Just my two cents worth, why don't you do the square in a square and then add the four outside 1/2 square triangles after. It's more work, but you should be able to get the pp on regular paper. Just a thought!
Old 07-04-2014, 05:25 AM

Why even bother with paper piecing it? It's just a Bright Hopes block in a Bright Hopes block in a Square.

Make the inner square and strips as a Bright Hopes block (very easy and will give you a much nicer rotation on the narrow strips), then add the triangles as for a Square-in-a-Square, add the second set of strips as another Bright Hopes, and finish with more triangles. Simple to make and no paper to worry about.

http://quilting.about.com/od/piecing...tial_seams.htm
http://quiltville.com/sqinsqtutorial.shtml