Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Looking for quilting advice >

Looking for quilting advice

Looking for quilting advice

Old 09-14-2013, 09:44 AM

Default Looking for quilting advice

I made a quilt top that is trimmed with jumbo ric-rac. It has an argyle look to it. I am now ready to quilt it on my DSM. I usually do a simple meander or loops or straight lines. Now I am questioning myself as to whether or not I should quilt over the ric-rac or avoid it and quilt in between. I did a search but didn't find any mention of specifics on how people have done the quilting. What do you think????
Old 09-14-2013, 10:13 AM

I think I would quilt inbetween it...I would be worried if I tried to quilt over it that I could "bend" it and it may not lay flat. Without seeing a picture, that is what I think I would do.Maybe if you posted a picture, it would give a better idea of what the quilt looks like
Old 09-14-2013, 10:53 AM
Power Poster

i think i would be tempted to sew down each edge in a straight line and make that part of the quilting. i always remember seeing ric rac curl in the wash
Old 09-14-2013, 11:28 AM

Yes, curling after wash is my concern. Here is a pic of most of it and then a close-up of the ric-rac.
Attached Thumbnails ricrac-1.jpg   ricrac-2.jpg  
Old 09-14-2013, 12:42 PM

Sorry, I really don't have any advice for you, but I love your quilt! And what about those pins? Do they come that way or is it something that snaps on them? Sure is easy to spot them!
Old 09-14-2013, 12:58 PM

Thanks. I think it will be OK when done.
The pins have little plastic "jackets" that you snap on with needle nose pliers. Can't think of the name right now. But they were so worth the time to do that. My fingers never get tired or sore no matter how big my quilt is. With those and the quick clip tool, pin-basting is very easy for me.
Old 09-14-2013, 01:02 PM
Power Poster

those plastic covers are from Eleanor Burns site , Quilt In A Day. I have some. I'm glad to see your posting, somewhere I have a quilt I intended to put large rick rack on. it's another UFO.
Old 09-14-2013, 01:09 PM

I have used the jumbo ric rac before and did a tiny zigzag down both sides. But my ric rac was not as much as yours, just around the inside of the border on a baby quilt. I can't remember if I used a walking foot or not. It was a pain, but I wanted it on there securely and, like you, I didn't want it to curl up. It also made an interesting pattern on the back. Unfortunately, I let that quilt get away from me without ever taking a photo.
Old 09-14-2013, 02:19 PM

I'm not sure if I should do a walking foot, or do it free motion. I do better at free motion when I am not trying to follow a line. I guess I will just jump in and go for it!.............:')....................