Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Looking for Rag Quilt pattern for Baby Boy >

Looking for Rag Quilt pattern for Baby Boy

Looking for Rag Quilt pattern for Baby Boy

Old 10-30-2014, 11:31 AM

Default Looking for Rag Quilt pattern for Baby Boy

I am looking to make a Rag Quilt for my new grandson "Brendan" who is arriving at the end of January.
Wish I could find some really pretty print material. Any ideas of fabric.........flannel....etc? I just joined yesterday so I'm new at this. Thank you in advance.
Old 10-30-2014, 11:43 AM

Flannel is nicest, many patterns available ,check out "about quilting". And a trip to a fabric store will provide you with an abundance of fabric choices. Good luck....fun times ahead!
Old 10-31-2014, 03:31 AM

Welcome 7Darlings! Flannel is best for rag quilts in my opinion...so soft after washing. Joanns has a nice assortment of print flannels (http://www.joann.com/fabric/flannel-fabric/) at reasonable prices...BUT if you watch a bit or sign up for their coupon offers, you can pay a lot less (today I could buy one cut of any size at 50% off, for example). And the Snuggle flannel often goes on sale for $2.99/yard. There are other sources as well. Your local quilt shop many carry flannel, but it probably would be a high quality and higher price that in my opinion isn't really needed in a rag quilt.
Old 10-31-2014, 04:55 AM
Power Poster

Since you are new to this type of quilt pattern, I wouldn't trust the quality of flannel that is sold in the chain stores unless you have experience with knowing the quality of flannel by touch. It is important to buy good quality of flannel so that the quilt will last a longer time. You might want to Google free flannel rag quilts and look at the photo gallery to see various designs. Your LQS will be able to give you that one on one service that one rarely gets from the internet stores. Have fun and be sure to check past post on type of scissors you may need.