Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Looking for Round Robin Ideas! >
  • Looking for Round Robin Ideas!

• Looking for Round Robin Ideas!

Old 08-12-2017, 03:24 AM

Lightbulb Looking for Round Robin Ideas!

Our guild is discussing having a round robin meeting where there will be 4 stations set up to learn a new technique or easy and quick gift ideas. If you have an easy and quick project idea that you enjoyed making, post a picture and/or a link to the tutorial. Thank you!

Ps. There was a cute round robin poem I read once to invite guild members to attend. If you have an idea for wording or a saved invite to a round robin, please share your ideas. Thank you!
    Old 08-12-2017, 04:22 AM

one station could be how to calculate a float border so the next pieced border fits. Here is one link to a tutorial about borders, though there are sure to be others https://catbirdquilts.wordpress.com/...and-solutions/
    Old 08-12-2017, 04:30 AM
    Power Poster

The staggered Flying Geese tutorial on YouTube is good. It is easy to follow and makes a great border.
    Old 08-12-2017, 04:53 AM

We had a table with all the new sewing notions and gadgets demoed. Specialty rulers, new tools, fun items, and the new threads available. The guild purchased these items and we used them for door prizes the rest of the year.
    Old 08-12-2017, 05:01 AM
    Power Poster

one of our members is going to show how to make a portable design board
    Old 08-12-2017, 06:22 AM
    Power Poster

Sounds like a good plan to me, to have the "stations" with everyone rotating through them.

However, I thought that a Round Robin was where a quilt top was passed from one to the other, with each person adding another round. If others think the same as I did, you may want to make sure that they understand what your definition is for the meeting's program, so there is no mis-communications/understandings.
    Old 08-12-2017, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE
    Sounds like a good plan to me, to have the "stations" with everyone rotating through them.

However, I thought that a Round Robin was where a quilt top was passed from one to the other, with each person adding another round. If others think the same as I did, you may want to make sure that they understand what your definition is for the meeting's program, so there is no mis-communications/understandings.
    That's what I was thinking a round robin is too. I agree, maybe make sure everyone understands the program. It does sound fun though!
    Old 08-12-2017, 04:28 PM

demos on the method of making 4 flying geese at once; attaching binding by machine ; making a quilt sleeve ; wool applique; about any applique method that uses a stablizer and glue; using rulers on a domestic machine if someone in your guild has that set-up;any new rulers that can be used in several ways; attaching cyrstals/bling; and if your guild has many beginners, you could add string quilts, etc.
    Old 08-13-2017, 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE

Thank you for your explanation. I was going by another quilters definition of round robin. We are to divide the group of members into 4 groups that will then go to the 4 stations. After a set amount of time 15mins, a bell will ring and the groups change stations.
    Old 08-13-2017, 07:51 AM

How about doing a demo on the disappearing 4 patch block and/or the disappearing 9 patch block. They are quick and you could have a sample made up ahead with each step already completed, so no sewing required.