Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Looking for shortcuts for piecing block parts >

Looking for shortcuts for piecing block parts

Looking for shortcuts for piecing block parts

Old 11-02-2013, 11:11 AM

Default Looking for shortcuts for piecing block parts

I'm planning my guild's 2014 block of the month quilt and decided that it would be fun to showcase a different shortcut way of doing a block part each month...
So I know quick ways to do...
pinwheels
8 at a time half square triangles
4 at a time flying geese
inset circle
Izy's freezer paper applique
scrappy 4 patch - Missouri Star tutorial
square in a triangle/shaded 4 patch/Mary's triangle

Does anyone else have any suggestions for clever shortcuts to making parts of a block?
Old 11-02-2013, 12:07 PM
Power Poster

How about the Bow Tie blocks? It is the one someone has under 10 minute block but the technique is really a lot older. Maybe the Cathedral windows technique as used in my Faux Flower table runner/topper?
How about the tip on making a perfect easy circle for appliqué? The one where you make a cardboard circle then you lay your fabric under with the tin foil square under it. You gather the foil up around the circle and it gathers up the raw edges and you press it through the foil.
Old 11-03-2013, 04:12 AM

I wanted to give the blocks a modern spin. I have considered the 10 minute block as well as the one seam flying geese but I wanted to not have the folded fabric edges for the blocks.
I haven't heard of a foil way of doing circles. I could do that one too. I already have the inset circle on my list which is super easy to do. I could do a second circle and do the tin foil and cardboard one. I'll look in to it

Thanks!
Old 11-03-2013, 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by Yarn or Fabric View Post
I'm planning my guild's 2014 block of the month quilt and decided that it would be fun to showcase a different shortcut way of doing a block part each month...
pinwheels
4 at a time flying geese
inset circle

Does anyone else have any suggestions for clever shortcuts to making parts of a block?
I have made a Square in a Square, Have 2 same size squares. On one of the squares, draw a line from corner to corner, then draw another line corner to corner the other way. Make a small cut on one of the lines (could be only about 1/4 to 1/2 inch cut. Place squares with right sides together and sew around the outer edge. After it is sewn, cut on both lines and press open.

Magic Squares, video on youtube Missouri Star Quilting

Disappearing 4 patch. Disappearing 9 patch. Textured Quilt Blocks. I know that there are 25 different textured blocks, there is a tutorial for each block and can download the tutorial. Just type in Textured Quilt blocks in the search block. I would post the website but not sure if it is allowed.
Old 11-03-2013, 05:33 AM

In my previous suggestions I mentioned Square in a Square. When cutting on the line it is only through the ONE fabric that has the line marked on the back, NOT through both squares.
Old 11-03-2013, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by Yarn or Fabric View Post
pinwheels
4 at a time flying geese
inset circle

Oooh, maybe your virtual guild, the Quilting Board, could do the BOM along with your live guild? (hint, hint,)