Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Looking for T-Shirt Pattern

Blog Entries

Looking for T-Shirt Pattern

Ok ladies my grandaughter wants a T-Shirt quilt. she has a lot of school T-Shirts. I would appreciate any info you can give me. How to make one. What is the best size block ?

Make sure you put interfacing on the back of each one. What I do for block sizes if I want all the same size (which I usually do) is measure the largest decal and then go about 1-2 inches larger (depending on decal size) after seems.

Google Free T shirt Pattern. I have been looking for a pattern too..that is my next project for my Grandson. I am a little anxious, but I have seen some nice finished ones so I know it can be done.

Blog Entries
    Yes the interfacing a must. However my friend made one and used too many shirts, and is too heavy. Her daughter isn't able to use it...............calla

If you type in "t-shirt quilt" in the search section of this website, you will find lots of pictures and advice for making a quilt. There's lots of information here. Have fun!
    Make it a scrappy happy day!

Blog Entries
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

I do my T-shirt quilts differently than most people. I do not use a set block size. Instead the blocks are in 4 inch increments (plus the seam allowance) based on the design on each T-shirt. So I would have 4 x 4, 4x8, 4x12, 4x16, 8x8, 8x12, 8x16, etc. With the largest block being 16 x 16. This is the method used by Too Cool T-hsirt quilts.

I typically do not use stabilizer when making T-shirt quilts - only if the T-shirt itself is very flimsy. I don't use sashing between the blocks but I do usually put a regular quilting cotton border on the quilt and use quilting cotton for the backing. I have made 6 or 7 of these now. All but one of them was twin size or larger. I machine quilt on my domestic sewing machine. Here is a link to one that I made.

Tee Shirt Quilt - I'm a newbie
    Last edited by lakekids; 05-22-2012 at 09:12 AM.

The most beautiful t-shirt quilt I saw was made using what appears to be a modification of the shadow box pattern. Let me see if I can find it.

Hey, I found it: T shirt quilt finally done!

This one is awesome.

I am sure there are several, if you just google or follow the links in the previous posts. I have an actual pattern that I picked up at the LQS. Not so much a pattern as the directions to do it. And I am also signing up for a 2 day Tee shirt quilt class at the LQS later next month. I have wanted to do one for quite some time...both my daughters have tons of cheerleading and college tees and my son has several college and farming type tees so I am going to be doing at least 3. While I know I could do it on my own, I love taking classes...it is fun to be able to visit while I sew!