Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Looking for ways to simplify a Grandmother's Flower Garden... >

Looking for ways to simplify a Grandmother's Flower Garden...

Looking for ways to simplify a Grandmother's Flower Garden...

Old 02-01-2013, 08:04 AM

Default Looking for ways to simplify a Grandmother's Flower Garden...

Hi everybody,
We're headed for some time in FL soon and I'm been thinking of projects to take along. Have some knitting and some blue redwork but want something more. Should I appliqué my completed GFG flowers to a background block? Would it help to glue them down a little with some Roxanne's or use a little fusible just to prevent shifting? I'm thinking of sashing them with a color. This is a DUFO -a dusty unfinished object and it sure would be ice to get it finished.
Any thoughts or advice is welcome!
Thanks,
lots2do
Old 02-01-2013, 08:16 AM

When I appliqued down my GFG rosettes I spray starched them good than turn them over and picked out the papers, than appliqued them down to my background block securing them with pins as I edge stitched around them.. (Nontraditional way of finishing.) I also took a hexie about the same size that was in the rosettes and stitched that over the area where the background blocks met. I always forget to take pics of my finished projects (SIL is getting after me) so don't have one but there is a similar one on the picture gallery.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...42-322543.html
Old 02-01-2013, 08:27 AM

You could use Roxanne's or Elmers School glue to keep the "flowers" from shifting. I think it would work just fine, and like dakotamaid said, starch before you applique to keep those edges under control.

Thanks for posting the site dakotamaid. That quilt is beautiful. I hadn't been to the gallery for some time. Love spending time there!
Old 02-01-2013, 04:30 PM

Thank you both. The picture is so helpful as well. I didn't use papers since I didn't know about them when I found a template at a quilt show. I am really excited about getting this project together! I don't have a machine in FL yet so handwork has to do for now. Really do appreciate your help!