Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Loopies or Birds Nest from bobbin on back - help!! >

Loopies or Birds Nest from bobbin on back - help!!

Loopies or Birds Nest from bobbin on back - help!!

Old 09-18-2014, 06:00 PM

Exclamation Loopies or Birds Nest from bobbin on back - help!!

My long arm is putting loopies or birds nest on the back of my quilt! I don't know where this is coming from and what to adjust! Help!! I have changed the bobbin, adjusted the tension on the bobbin. The top looks great but every inch or two the thread has loops or a wad of thread. I am not sure how to fix this.!.! Getting very frustrated!
Old 09-18-2014, 06:15 PM

The first thing I would suggest is take the top thread out and rethread it completely. Be sure the thread is in the tension disc securely. Be sure the bobbin is inserted the correct way and check the needle.
Old 09-18-2014, 06:19 PM

Thank you I will try all you suggested. I have never had this problem and have had my long arm 6 years.
Old 09-18-2014, 06:23 PM

TexasSunshine has hit the nail on the head and probably diagnosed your problem. And, my long arm was doing the same thing today. I thought it was because I was using a thread that I had not used before. My Nolting is from the 1990's and can be a bit spiffy about the thread it wants me to use. Well...My husband came in and told me he would rethread the upper thread. I missed one spot. As soon as he did that, it has been behaving beautifully.

FYI....Almost all the time, if there are loops on the back, it is from the top thread.

Just thought about...once when mine was doing intermittent throwing of loops, the upper thread was binding and then releasing quickly. The way I found it was to glance back & forth from a practice piece to the thread path. I saw it at once. I rearranged my thread delivery and everything went fine after that.
Old 09-18-2014, 06:28 PM

Thank you Barb in Louisiana, I will take out all thread and needle and reassemble. I have not been on this website in a couple of years and have forgotten how wonderful everyone is here!!
Old 09-18-2014, 07:36 PM
Power Poster

If nothing else works, it's possible that there is rust on the upper tension discs. In this case, you would need to disassemble the top tension and use emery cloth to get rid of the rust. Someone with an older machine, who had tried everything else, discovered that this was the source of the loops she was getting with her machine.
Old 09-19-2014, 12:56 AM
Power Poster

you could try to put a net over the spool of thread so it comes off the spool more evenly.
Old 09-19-2014, 02:59 AM

I had this problem a while ago. I rethreaded the machine top and bottom and still had a problem. so I cleaned the machine and still had a problem, HHHHMM so I checked the tension spools and there was a tiny piece of thread caught in it. problem solved.
Old 09-19-2014, 03:56 AM
Power Poster

I agree with the upper thread causing problems. Check your thread path. It's good, even after 6 years to get the manual out and double check. Pay special attention to how your thread is going thru the tension disks. On mine, it's easy to get the thread between the body of the machine & the disks! Also make sure there's no lint etc. caught between them.
Old 09-19-2014, 04:42 AM
Power Poster

Also check your tension check spring. That is the little spring that is usually connected to the tension discs and is the what you feed the thread through after looping it around the tension discs. You have had your LA for 6 years, depending on how much you use it your spring may be in need of replacement.