Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Lost the urge >

Lost the urge

Lost the urge

Old 11-11-2013, 03:41 PM

Do some organization of your fabric. That's what I've found really helps me get in the mood. Pull out the fabric in your stash and re-fold it. You'll see fabrics you haven't seen in a while, and it really gets you thinking "this fabric would be perfect for THAT quilt I've had on my bucket list" or "There's that fabric! Now I can finally make THAT quilt!". I also like to sit with my quilt books or magazines that I've not looked at in a long time. Don't worry, it will all come back. My funk lasted for a year after my mom passed away. Thanks to Peggi (Peckish on the board!), who kept sending me pics of quilts she thought I would like - it started little sparks that, at first, I ignored, but later found that I just HAD to make them!
Old 11-11-2013, 03:53 PM
DJ

Organizing my studio usually makes me really want to get in there and do something. It's depressing when it's too big a mess. Good luck. Don't press it.
Old 11-11-2013, 03:59 PM

Roll with the punches -- I put my projects in boxes with the fabrics and the instructions. I also sort through my fabric and reorganize - it's nice to have a nice clean room when the mood finally does hit. Enjoy life in the meantime though - read, go for nice walks and maybe have coffee with friends.
Old 11-11-2013, 04:10 PM

Just do it! I went through a dry spell for the past month. I tidied up the sew room, re-arranged furniture, reorganized fabric, and then just sat down and worked on a project already started. Just like that, I am itching to go down to the sewing room, and do a few more rows. Hope that works for you, too!
Old 11-11-2013, 04:26 PM

New fabric might work?
Old 11-11-2013, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by rusty quilter View Post
Don't know what happened, but I don't have the urge to quilt right now...but I do love quilting. It is the holiday season, and I so want to get back into the groove. Any suggestions as to what can I do to get the spirit back?

Find a couple small items to quilt. A tote, a pillow, a vest. Quick to get done and you can walk off for a few days with no regrets
Old 11-11-2013, 06:39 PM

Besides FART-ing [fabric road acquisition trip] just to look and pet the fabric and get inspired I do one of several things.

When I wasn't inspired is when I made my picture database of quilt top patterns and then their instructions via my scanners. I get to go through all my quilting magazines and then pass them along to other quilters as I don't need the magazines anymore. My paper clutter is greatly lessened. I can do a slide show of the quilt tops and play around.

I also go through my scraps that I had told myself I would eventually go through and sort. This isn't something I really like to do so it really is a jump starter.

I make yo-yo's. Even though I don't know what I will ever do with them. I can make them while watching TV or a DVD. I can make them at quilting meetings. I haven't taken them to church to work on yet though.
Old 11-11-2013, 07:01 PM

Hi Gayle! I like what you've written! good advice for someone who needs to be motivated to quilt. Donna
Originally Posted by Gayle8675309 View Post
I'm in the same boat. I've lost my mojo too. It's been a couple of months for me. I'm still looking at patterns and looking at other's quilts online, but so far I haven't felt much like quilting. I am, however, getting interested in Paper Piecing. I enrolled in Carol Doak's Paper Piecing class on Craftsy and it is really getting my interest up. I think I might just give it a try. So maybe if you try a new "type" of quilting, that might help. I'm hoping so at least.
Old 11-11-2013, 07:03 PM

This past summer I picked up a huge amount of fabric by asking if they would be interested in selling the whole collection. It was priced at 50 cents FQ and $2 a yard for most. Rest was in gallon bags stuffed full of large scraps, for example a FQ with a 4 inch square cut out or several 3" by WOF. These bags were about a dollar. It was the second weekend of yard sales and I about fainted when she said $20 for it all. I whipped out the money and started packing it to the car. I was shocked with what I got. I have used quite a bit for donation quilts and scrappy backs. The less than desirable fabric I cut into 4 inch squares which my grands use to practice piecing. It was a real win-win for all of us. Remember you can always decline or ask what their bottom dollar is. My DH is really good at bargains, but I tend to pay too much. This time I didn't!!! LOL
Old 11-11-2013, 08:27 PM

having recently suffered the loss of my DH, I was having a hard time even going into my sewing area. So I got a book on Zentangle (Totally Tangled) and a black pen. After a few small 4" paper squares and circles, kind of playing with pattern in SMALL area's, I've been feeling better about sewing and quilting again. It'll take a long time to get settled back into a full zone, but it's ok to take a break. And the project I'm working on has a "puzzle" FMQ pattern on the pre-printed panels. I'm doing that one as Quilt as you Go pieces, so it's one small success at a time!

Take your time, find something that includes pattern and color (or Black and White), the Quilt-bug will be there when you get back! Maybe now is a good time to "organize" the area, paint, freshen it up. That way, it'll be ready and more welcoming when you do return, fully recharged!