Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Low-End Sewing Machine Recommendation >

Low-End Sewing Machine Recommendation

Low-End Sewing Machine Recommendation

Old 05-03-2015, 08:26 PM

Several of my friends have purchased a Brother machine for quilters from WalMart. It is around $199 and comes with the 1'4" foot, walking foot, extension table, and some other things. It has a good variety of stitches and does letters as well as fancy stitches. They all love it and consider it a good buy for the money.
Old 05-04-2015, 12:27 AM

I have one of the Brother machines that are available at Walmart and most fabric stores. I paid $135 for it several years back. It has about 80 decorative stitches, came with several attachments, is light weight and sews like a dream. I love it. And, best of all if you don't like it after getting it home and trying it out, it can be returned with no questions asked.
Old 05-04-2015, 02:43 AM

I have an inexpensive Brother, and I am happy with it.
Old 05-04-2015, 03:09 AM

I have a 35 year old Kenmore that is still my most reliable machine. I have a Babylock a year old and I still depend on the Kenmore for things that the babylock does not do well. No comparison in quality. I've seen them at resale stores for 25.00 and am always tempted to pick them up. Mine was the store model and high end. I paid $600 for it 35 years ago which was a lot at that time and it has been thru many years of sewing and quilting. I have had it in for tune-up only twice in it's life.
Old 05-04-2015, 03:11 AM

I bought a Janome that was a floor model. It was a $599 machine and I got it for $400. I love it! Se. If your Janome dealer has any floor models to sell.
Old 05-04-2015, 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by lovelyl View Post
I bought a Janome that was a floor model. It was a $599 machine and I got it for $400. I love it! Se. If your Janome dealer has any floor models to sell.

I saved $2,000 on my floor model Janome. They repacked it in the original box, full warranty, and i have been happily sewing ever since. Paid cash, no trade. Sew happy!

My 2 cents, he is buying a gift. "New" vs, vintage is my choice. Unless his wife expressed a desire for vintage. He probably understands her buying style in other items.

sandy
Old 05-04-2015, 04:15 AM

Juki HZL 27 Z! Comparable in price to big box stores but it has metal, not plastic, innards, sews like a dream, and won't frustrate the beginner sewist.
Old 05-04-2015, 05:07 AM

Another vote for the Brother Cs6000i. I bought mine from Amazon. Good sturdy machine, but too small for me once I really got serious about quilting. I made at least 5 quilts on it though, so I think it's good for beginners. It comes with the quarter-inch quilting foot and an extension table. It has a needle up/down button which is another great feature for piecing.

I gave mine to my niece and nephew (who were 8 & 12 when I gave it to them). They have had it 2 years now and abuse that machine pretty bad and it's still working. It won't last forever (plastic gears) but for the price I paid for it I've been impressed at how rugged it's turned out to be. I know for a fact they've sewn through cardboard with it, LOL. They are able to thread it, change needles and do basic troubleshooting on it.
Old 05-04-2015, 05:45 AM

I"d try a thrift shop. A cousin of mine bought her daughter in law a Kenmore with several built in stitches...works really great for $25. The dil was interested in making some summer clothes for her daughter. Now if she sees she really doesn't like to sew my cousin isn't out much. Just a suggestion.
Old 05-04-2015, 06:13 AM

I'll add my vote for a brother or Janome in that price range-I actually have a low end Walmart Brother-the CS6000i (or I did I gave to a granddaughter, still going great after 7 yrs) and the Janome Jem Silver from approx 12 years ago, the ASG Anniversary model. Also still going strong, gave that one to another granddaughter & bought a used one for a 3rd granddaughter. I also keep a low end Brother at my daughter's house on the other side of the country.
Janome now makes Elna & Necchi-both lines have machines that are the same as the Jem's. The Necchi TM8, Travelmate, is the same machine as the Jem Silver. I missed the ones I gave away so much I recently bought the Necchi for $199. These are great machines especially if space is limited or if a machine is needed for classes or travel. I do a lot of sewing everyday so must admit those machines were not my main machine but I still love them, never let me down and often used.