Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Low Volume Fabrics? >

Low Volume Fabrics?

Low Volume Fabrics?

Old 10-16-2014, 09:13 PM

Nothing better than a visual to get the idea across.

http://www.pinterest.com/search/pins...ilts&term_meta[]=low|typed&term_meta[]=volume|typed&term_meta[]=quilts|typed
Old 10-16-2014, 09:45 PM

Search low volume fabric/bundles on Etsy and you should find a good number of options. Have fun shopping!
Old 10-17-2014, 03:52 AM

Here is the low volume quilt I made last week. There are several beautiful ones on Rita's blog (www.redpepperquilt.com). I didn't had any low volume fabric either in my stash, so I bought a bunch of 1/2 yard from Fabric.com and end up with a nice bundle. Most fabric were in the clearance section so it was not expensive, but it took me a couple of hours, it`s true. For me it was worth the trouble because I'm mainly into modern quilting so it gaveme a tons of new design opportunities. For buying a small bundle, you could look at www.pinkcastlefabrics.com. There is very nice choice also at www.westwoodacresfabric.com, but they seems to be sold out right now.
Attached Thumbnails annie_rousseau_1.jpg  
Old 10-17-2014, 03:53 AM

No resale, hobby lobby,Walmart or something comparable closer than 2 hrs away? Will it be sort of scrappy or a definite repeat pattern?
Old 10-17-2014, 04:13 AM

Sounds like low volume is the same as neutrals? Just do a search for neutrals on any fabric website and you will find lots. I work with neutrals on the majority of my quilts.
Old 10-17-2014, 04:21 AM

Originally Posted by Jeanne S View Post
Sounds like low volume is the same as neutrals? Just do a search for neutrals on any fabric website and you will find lots. I work with neutrals on the majority of my quilts.
I agree or maybe what I think of as lights. Doesn't make sense to me to call them low volume quilts just like calling a quilt top a flimsy. Have these terms been around for a long time? Never heard of low volume quilts until today
Old 10-17-2014, 05:39 AM

"Low Volume" quilts makes sense if you think in terms of bright colors being referred to as "loud". Low Volume quilts are done in soft colors. Pastels, etc.

As for sources...when I was in Oregon I visited Fabric Depot and they had a HUGE selection of low-volume batiks. I don't know if you're interested in batiks for your quilt but if you are that might be a good source - they have an online shop.
Old 10-17-2014, 06:42 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
Ah - "low volume colors" as opposed to "loud colors"???
I would think so. You might try a search on quiltshops.com. I buy most of my fabric at fabricshack.com. Fast service and discounted shipping. Did you know that a new fabric store is opening up in Temecula CA around the first of November??? I live just southwest from you.

Last edited by ManiacQuilter2; 10-17-2014 at 06:44 AM.
Old 10-17-2014, 08:49 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

To me 'low volume' fabrics look like a wonderful old vintage quilt that's been exposed to the sun and/or washed repeatedly over the years and the fabrics have faded a lot. I call them "grandma's sleeping porch nap quilts." They may or may not be florals or even quite faded thirties prints, and other faded modern or vintage prints.

Jan in VA
Old 10-17-2014, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
To me 'low volume' fabrics look like a wonderful old vintage quilt that's been exposed to the sun and/or washed repeatedly over the years and the fabrics have faded a lot.
I was having a hard time trying to figure out how to explain it. I think you hit the nail on the head, Super Jan!