Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
LQS and $  ?? >

LQS and $ ??

LQS and $ ??

Old 03-28-2010, 12:52 PM

Okay,

I get it that LQS have a higher quality fabric.

I have a LQS that's about a 1/2 an hour away, and she does carry some great stuff (I treat myself there) There's also a GREAT shop that's about 2 hours away, but it's on the way to my parent's house, so I stop there when I can.

There's a FABRIC store (not a quilt shop) that is literally 2 minutes from my work. The problem - I think it's HORRIBLY overpriced. ($15 for a Moda Charm pack) and most of the fabric is outdated.

Should I just suck it up and deal? I hate that I'm ignoring a locally owned and operated shop, but do I need to overpay for discontinued fabric?

Sorry.... I'm struggling with this one...
Old 03-28-2010, 01:18 PM
Power Poster

I say go to the one you like best. If a business wants to stay in business it does what it needs to please it customers. You are not obligated to shop somewhere just because it's local.
Old 03-28-2010, 01:35 PM

I get what I want from where i want. I will shop at the fabric store,not quilt shop, here in town. the quilt shops are further away and more expensive. If you don't really like it I wouldn't buy it. and If the other places aren't to far away and you like them better, then go there.
Old 03-28-2010, 01:44 PM

go where you want to, no one tells me how or where to spend my money.

i go to LQS's and JoAnns. it is what i can afford at the time, or the project i am working on or looking to make.

i travel 45 minutes to visit 2 different quilt shops, because i love the owner and the shop..
Old 03-28-2010, 01:47 PM

Because of how far away the disireable (but pricey for me) quilt shop is, I tend to shop at the mom and pop one here, Wal-mart, JoAnn's, and Hobby Lobby. I have begun to get fabric off e-bay. Some great folks with great prices if yu watch where you get it from.
Old 03-28-2010, 02:09 PM

$15 for a charm pack???? They are $8.00 around my area.
I travel anywhere from 20 minutes to an hour or more depending on what I am looking for. For backings I will be traveling 2 hours one way later next week.
Old 03-28-2010, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by brushandthimble
$15 for a charm pack???? They are $8.00 around my area.
I travel anywhere from 20 minutes to an hour or more depending on what I am looking for. For backings I will be traveling 2 hours one way later next week.
That was what did me in!!

I'll continue to treat myself at the two shops I love, but I'll stick to JoAnn's instead of the $$$ lady...

=)
Old 03-28-2010, 02:27 PM

If you are comfortable buying online, you can get some great deals on the same fabric your local shop will have. I spread my business around. I'd like my LQS to stick around, but I can't afford to buy all of my supplies there. If there's a collection you've seen that you like, you will be finding the same quality online. There have been a few recent threads with links to some great places. Check out www.charmpacksplus.com for the one you looked at. Most of them are in the $8 range and I believe are usually free shipping.
Old 03-28-2010, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by katier825
If you are comfortable buying online, you can get some great deals on the same fabric your local shop will have. I spread my business around. I'd like my LQS to stick around, but I can't afford to buy all of my supplies there. If there's a collection you've seen that you like, you will be finding the same quality online. There have been a few recent threads with links to some great places. Check out www.charmpacksplus.com for the one you looked at. Most of them are in the $8 range and I believe are usually free shipping.
I've bought from charm packs plus a few times -- they spoil me!! I highly reccommend them! (even though I can't spell!)
Old 03-28-2010, 03:10 PM

I know and understand your dilemma!! I am in the same position. I would like to support my LQS's (I am lucky in that I have quite a few within 30-45 minutes drive), but, the cost of the fabric and notions is astronomical. My solution? I buy fabric on-line from the States!! Even tho' I live in South Australia, I spend the majority of my quilting money in America - go figure!! Compare the cost: Kaffe Fassett $25/m (yes! $25!!) in Adelaide, and with the shipping and exchange rate - $12-15/m from the States!!

Basically, I pay approximately 1/2 price for the same fabric if I purchase it from America!! Oh yes!! This also includes Australian Aboriginal fabric made in Australia!! How's that work? I can buy it cheaper in America than where it is made!!

So, at the moment, especially since our exchange rate is so great (yipee !!) I will continue to enhance the American economy!!

The best online shops: fabric.com; fabricdepot.com; quilthome.com; virginiaquilter.com; equilter.com & aaaquiltersupplybizland.com. I have had great service from all of these suppliers, but especially fabric.com!! They have gone the extra mile for me several times!!

Spend your money where you want to!! Even tho' you may pay a bit more somewhere else if you get exceptional service and the people are great!!

Kind regards, Dianne