Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
LQS is a little too helpful >

LQS is a little too helpful

LQS is a little too helpful

Old 02-10-2012, 05:28 PM

I have only been in a "real" fabric store once and that was a LONG time ago. At PA Fabric Outlet you are totally on your own. And it's the same at Joann's. Unless you ask about something you are left alone. But...different shop.

On the 2nd floor of a farmer's market near me they have all kinds of shops. A friend and I went there one day because she wanted me to see this craft shop. She warned me that the lady talks a lot. OMG was she ever right. From the time we walked in the door she never stopped. As soon as you picked up something she would give you the whole "history" of it and whether it was a good seller or not for her. We tried to escape to the back of the store when her phone rang. As soon as she hung up from the call she started yelling back to us. I said, Bev, let's just buy something and get out of here. We went to the counter to pay and were probably there 15 minutes while she talked about how she was starting to bring in her Christmas stuff and how many trips from her vehicle to her shop upstairs she had to make and blah blah blah blah blah. She had some really cute things but I have not gone back. Bev has been back a couple of times and she said to me...if I get bored at home and need someone to talk to I can always go there. LOL
Old 02-10-2012, 05:32 PM
Power Poster

LOL I will be looking at the responses you get. I have the same problem at one place plus the lady seems to be pressering me into buying stuff.
Old 02-10-2012, 05:35 PM
Power Poster

This is what I was thinking. It seems like they buddy up like one of my quilting partners would do.

Originally Posted by Pinkiris View Post
While reading the original post and the responses, I thought of something---Maybe these gals are lonely because fabric shoppers aren't frequenting their stores like in the past. Who knows?
In any event, I think a polite comment might remedy the situation.
Old 02-10-2012, 05:35 PM

thats too bad! reminds me of furniture stores! i hate that too! i hope the suggestions help!!
Old 02-10-2012, 05:50 PM

You should experience being a male quilter walking into a store for the first time. Things get very, very quiet while they wait for your to realize that you're in the wrong store or that they don't stock velcro or denim. Why else would a male enter their store? Then one brave soul will offer to help. When you tell them you're just looking for fabrics and ideas, business will slowly resume but in a whispered fashion. One male quilter told a story about an exasperated saleslady who finally blurted out, "Didn't she send a list with you?"

The ladies at my LQS know me and I often run into another guild members. Being a male quilter does have the advantage that clerks are interested in your projects and willing to share any ideas or patiently answer any questions you might have. I don't exactly blend in when taking a class but they've finally relaxed and quit correcting themselves when starting a sentence with something like, "Okay ladies,..."

I sometimes get a humorous reaction when I happen to be leaving the store at the same time a lady is approaching. Naturally, I open the door for her. Often they will back pedal, look at the store windows to verify they're in the right place, then chuckle at themselves and enter.
Old 02-10-2012, 06:03 PM

I worked in an antique store some years ago and when we suspected someone might be stealing we would hover with them to make them uncomfortable and leave. I can't imagine a fabric store having this concern since it would be hard to stick a bolt of fabric in your purse! Maybe you could tell her my story and and then say - you don't think I am stealing do you? ha ha ha....
Old 02-10-2012, 06:12 PM

I'm really enjoying all of your answers....like I said, it's not that serious of an issue, and most of my fabric buying experiences are great, but I love hearing everyone else's stories. Carl, it's awesome that you aren't intimidated by all the female reactions, but you just take it all in stride!

Last edited by pacquilter; 02-10-2012 at 06:16 PM.
Old 02-10-2012, 06:15 PM

If that happens to me, I will walk out after the second time they ask me. When I say "Don't call me, I'll call you"...unfortunately, I mean it. Is that rude? Probably. Do I feel like they've earned the treatment? Probably. Will I do it again? Certainly!!
Old 02-10-2012, 06:16 PM

It is hard for me to shop but it is harder when I have someone who wants to help and I am sure myself what I am looking for. Usually, given time I may find material that I need but many times, I go just to see what they have. I may just want to look for a project that is a couple weeks in the future.
Old 02-10-2012, 07:01 PM
Power Poster

This works: Be talking (or pretend to) on your cell phone as you walk in the shop. Keep the phone to your ear the whole time you are there. Have it turned to silent so it won't ring. LOL.