Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
LQS in Old Orchard Beach Maine area? >

LQS in Old Orchard Beach Maine area?

LQS in Old Orchard Beach Maine area?

Old 07-19-2011, 09:43 AM

My sister lives in TX. She will be coming to visit us while we are on vacation in Maine. She asked me to make her a Calypso jacket (Like a shawl with sleeves). I don't want her to have to buy the fabric in TX and bring it to Maine - It will end up being 5 yrs of fabric.

I would love to just take her to the store while she is with me to pick out her fabric. Looking for fabric or quilt shops in the OOB area of Maine. Thought I'd try you guys before I google it.

TIA
Old 07-19-2011, 10:32 AM

You need to go to one of the Marden's stores. They are a surplus store and have the best prices on fabric, and a wide selection. There is a lovely LQS in the area:
http://www.kathiesquiltshoppe.com/
Old 07-19-2011, 11:29 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Kathios
You need to go to one of the Marden's stores. They are a surplus store and have the best prices on fabric, and a wide selection. There is a lovely LQS in the area:
http://www.kathiesquiltshoppe.com/
I have never been to a Mardens but I think the ones in southern Maine have the best fabric selection. It is my understanding not all Mardens have fabric but I think the one near Portland does and OOB is a stones throw from Portland.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Elisabethann
My sister lives in TX. She will be coming to visit us while we are on vacation in Maine. She asked me to make her a Calypso jacket (Like a shawl with sleeves). I don't want her to have to buy the fabric in TX and bring it to Maine - It will end up being 5 yrs of fabric.

I would love to just take her to the store while she is with me to pick out her fabric. Looking for fabric or quilt shops in the OOB area of Maine. Thought I'd try you guys before I google it.

TIA
The Mardens in the OOB area is in South Portland, across the bridge of the Mall. It is in the Old Wal-Mart store. There is also one in Sanford, but that is further away.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Freddie
Originally Posted by Elisabethann

TIA
The Mardens in the OOB area is in South Portland, across the bridge of the Mall. It is in the Old Wal-Mart store. There is also one in Sanford, but that is further away.
is the waterville store still there? quite a ways up but worth the trip for fabric I think. But of course, So. Portland is nearby.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:56 PM

definitely go to Knight's Quilt Shop on Route 1 - can't remember the exact town, but google it and you will find directions.
Old 07-19-2011, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by paulswalia
definitely go to Knight's Quilt Shop on Route 1 - can't remember the exact town, but google it and you will find directions.
Yes! Definitely visit Knight's. It's a lovely shop between York and Ogunquit on Rt. 1. I visited last year while on vacation and bought some nice fabric.
Old 07-19-2011, 03:49 PM

If you go to Freeport, try out Cottonweeds. I really love this store.
Technically the So. Portland Marden's store is just over the line in Scarborough, I believe. If you google the Mill Store, it's just up the road or there may be directions on the Marden's site.
Old 07-19-2011, 04:01 PM

I wish I was visiting you - I LOVE Old Orchard Beach! An old boyfriend of mine used to have a condo on the beach there. DH also loves that part of the world. It would sure beat Phoenix right now, lol.
Old 07-21-2011, 01:09 PM

[quote=lots2do]If you go to Freeport, try out Cottonweeds. I really love this store.
Technically the So. Portland Marden's store is just over the line in Scarborough, I believe. If you google the Mill Store, it's just up the road or there may be directions on the Marden's site.[/qu

You are correct,it is Scarborough. Used to live in OOB five years ago and already I forgot the townline. I used to work in David's Bridal at the Mall.
Also Waterville's Mardens is still there. They moved from the old factory building downtown to the old Wal-Mart store right off 95.