Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
LQS in Vancouver Area >

LQS in Vancouver Area

LQS in Vancouver Area

Old 12-21-2012, 10:38 AM

Default LQS in Vancouver Area

I am visiting my family in Vancouver , BC area (White Rock). Do you know of any "must see" LQS? Thank you.
Old 12-21-2012, 11:44 AM

I knew it wouldn't be long before this question was posted! I hope you're having a great time so far.
Old 12-21-2012, 12:32 PM

This is probably the closest store to White Rock http://www.wineberryfabrics.com/wf/ and this shop is nice too but a little awkward to see from the bypass, it's in behind a hotel in an industrial strip mall http://www.agreatnotion.com/
Old 12-21-2012, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by thimblebug6000 View Post
This is probably the closest store to White Rock http://www.wineberryfabrics.com/wf/ and this shop is nice too but a little awkward to see from the bypass, it's in behind a hotel in an industrial strip mall http://www.agreatnotion.com/
Thank you for the suggestion. I will go check them out but to be honest i got a severe sticker shock when I went to their web sites - $16 a meter?! All of a sudden I have a greater appreciation for my LQS and Joann's.
Old 12-21-2012, 02:32 PM

I used to go to all the LQSs around the Hamilton/Burlington, Ontario areas when I'd visit, especially if my transplanted-to-Texas quilting buddy was "home" at the same time as me. Then I stopped, because the fabric prices in Canada are now insane! I once asked at the LQS I visited most often while in Canada why the prices were so high - I mean, a two hour drive away the prices were 1/3 as high, before you add the 15% sales taxes! The owner told me it is all about tariffs and import duties and such.

My sympathies for the Canadian quilters among us. I could never afford this hobby (habit) if I still lived there!

Alison
Old 12-21-2012, 03:09 PM

Yes, our prices suck. I plan to visit "The Cloth Shop" when I am in Vancouver this week. Sticker shock shouldn't be a problem, since I'm in Canada anyway. And they probably aren't too convenient for you, tashana, as they are on Granville Island in Vancouver.
Old 12-21-2012, 03:53 PM

Yes our prices are higher but not as high as Europe & Australia. And most of the shops do have a few shelves with sale priced fabrics that are good quality but last year's collections. Please still try to pop into the shops & maybe you will be inspired by some of their samples or just so excited you might even take a pattern or meter of fabric home.... yes remember.... you do get a few more inches in your meter than your yard. Take care and enjoy your travels to our part of the country. I was born in Vancouver & have traveled to many countries.... but home always calls.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by kristakz View Post
Yes, our prices suck. I plan to visit "The Cloth Shop" when I am in Vancouver this week. Sticker shock shouldn't be a problem, since I'm in Canada anyway. And they probably aren't too convenient for you, tashana, as they are on Granville Island in Vancouver.
I LOVE The Cloth Shop on Granville Island. But, yes, sticker shock for real, eh?
Old 12-22-2012, 08:25 AM

If you are doing an internet search for shops, ask here about them, because many of our shops have closed out & the lists don't seem to get updated. I was just looking for a shop for you but I see it is only an online business now, will post the link in case they have something you can contact them for. http://www.quiltedgarden.ca/Home.page
Old 12-22-2012, 08:40 AM

If you get to downtown Vancouver check out Dressew on Hastings. I doubt they have a website but you can see reviews here. http://www.yelp.ca/biz/dressew-supply-vancouver

They do not take credit cards, but I think they take debit now, otherwise bring cash.

You will have to hunt around to find things. I know they have quilting fabric, I am not sure about the quality.

It is the sort of store where you can find just about anything, if you look long enough.

It is near the Downtown Eastside, but I have always felt safe and comfortable there, even when walking several blocks to get there.