Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Lst night I met the Quilt Police! >

Lst night I met the Quilt Police!

Lst night I met the Quilt Police!

Old 08-07-2012, 09:24 AM
Power Poster

Was this for the entry tag label?

Or for your personal label?

For our fairs, there are no instructions regarding either ... though it is very clearly noted that labels MUST be covered to hide any identifying info. I pin on a piece of fabric, slightly larger than the label, either the same as the backing, or a coordinating fabric.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:27 AM

Another lesson would be that you make your quilts for your own enjoyment--and who cares where the labels are? I get that they want to make it "easier" but isn't quilting about individual taste?
Old 08-07-2012, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by Holice View Post
In defense.........judges do prefer the labels to be on the lower left of the back. diagonal or otherwise is not important. It is just easier to flip the quilt and find the number or other identification if they are all consistent.

Really???? I have never turned in a quilt to be judged but I have always put my label on the lower right of the back. Of course if you have the front of the quilt and you turn the lower left, you would see the label.

She was probably just overwhelmed and had maybe never done this before.

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!
Old 08-07-2012, 09:40 AM
Power Poster

I am in charge of getting the quilts for the local fair registered and hung every year. The judges don't hang the quilts and should never know the name of the quilter before judging the quilts anyway and the quilts aren't hung until after judging. I guess every fair is different but the one in charge of the quilt display is in charge not the judges. This woman should learn to not be so rule oriented when it comes to fair quilts. A prize winning quilt will win no matter about the hanging or label guidelines are met or not. LOL
Old 08-07-2012, 11:47 AM
Power Poster

Another good reason why I would never enter any of my quilts in any kind of a show/fair, etc.
I quilt only for my own pleasure.
Old 08-07-2012, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Holice View Post
In defense.........judges do prefer the labels to be on the lower left of the back. diagonal or otherwise is not important. It is just easier to flip the quilt and find the number or other identification if they are all consistent.
That makes sense - they only have to peek at one corner. the intake person made no sense not knowing which way is up! What a hoot!
Old 08-07-2012, 12:24 PM

Know what? It all kind of makes me want to put it in the middle! (lol)
Old 08-07-2012, 01:00 PM

Anal! In need of some Xanax, I think. Do quilt police have badges?

SittingPretty, you are a rebel!
Old 08-07-2012, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by grammatjr View Post
Last night I (for the first time) turned in quilts to the local county fair.

The woman checking in the quilts gave me this big lecture about the location of my labels. She said it had to be in the lower left corner, so the judges would know which way was up when they hung the quilt.

The label that was on a diagonal really threw her for a loop! I laughed and told her I like to mix things up!

She again explained how if the lable isn't in the lower left corner, they may not know how to hang it up. Now, I was thinking, if they could read the label it should give them a clue (only the 1out of 3 was on a diagonal, the rest were strictly horizontal).

Finally, I just said "well, they are all portraits, so if the kids are standing on their heads, you have it upside down!"

It was pretty funny! This lady is from my guild (I am sure she didn't recognize me), and seemed to be sort of overwhelmed by it all. It took about 25-30 minutes to check in 3 quilts.
So what did the written rules say? Enforcing the rules of a contest does not make her quilt police.
Old 08-07-2012, 01:27 PM

I think placement of the label should be entirely up to the quilter. It is their quilt and they are not making it JUST for a county fair. If the quilt is being made solely to be judged in a juried show and the rules (given plenty of time in advance) state that a label has to be affixed to a certain location, I can understand that. However, like a member previously stated... judges are not supposed to know who did the work because that might impact the scoring.