Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Lurking a new person to the dark side >

Lurking a new person to the dark side

Lurking a new person to the dark side

Old 12-05-2010, 04:28 PM

So, I am in the process of brainwashing a new minion. [insert evil laugh here] And possibly her mother too!!!

The back story is that I have gotten very close to the daughter of our neigbor across the road from us. Lauren was 12 when we moved here and she turns 16 on the 14th. Last Christmas I bought her a brand new Janome Mini and some easy patterns and fabrics. I made her a quilt for her 14th birthday/Christmas 2008. I have already lured her into Counted Cross Stitch and sewing. (She has completed 4 purses for Christmas presents this year and made the curtains for her bedroom.)

When I was organizing my stash to get ready to move, I discovered that I had some Winnie the Pooh fabric on hand - actually more than I thought. I had just found out that Lauren older sister is expecting a baby in May. When I found the fabric I thought that I needed to make her sister a baby blanket. And then I thought - NO Lauren will make the baby a quilt!!!!

So we started last week. I have laid out a simple 9 patch/Snowball quilt for her on my EQ7. She thought it was so neat to make it on the computer and then knowing what she need and how to do it. So I started her out with fussy cutting the snowball pieces. I cut out a template of the 9 1/2" sq and marked the stitching lines and the cut offs for the corners.

I cut the rest of the pieces for her. She wasn't very sure about using the rotary cutter. She finished the fussy cutting today. I just got back from her house showing her how to sew the corners for the snowball by using squares instead of triangles. I figured that way she didn't have to deal with the bias. When she finishes that, I will show her how to strip piece the sets for the 9 patch. However, she does want to try it to cut the strip pieces for the 9 patch blocks with the rotary cutter.

I am just showing her one simple step at a time so that she doesn't get overwhelmed. I have some fleece and a piece of flannel backed satin to finish it off. I am going to hand stitch the self-binding for her and then I have some pale baby ombre silks for her tie it with.

All in all, I can't wait to this quilt done. Not so much for the outcome of the project, but knowing how much it will mean to everyone involved.
Old 12-05-2010, 04:37 PM

Isn't nice to teach someone new - can't wait to see the final quilt :-D
Old 12-05-2010, 04:41 PM
Google Goddess

that is great you are teaching her to sew and quilt
Old 12-05-2010, 04:49 PM

That is really great. I would love to teach a young one to quilt. If we don't it will die out for a while. But it will never go away. They will revive it again. We've seen that history before.
Old 12-05-2010, 04:53 PM

You are a good person for doing that!
Old 12-05-2010, 05:59 PM
Power Poster

(((HUGS))) Bless your heart for taking the time to teach her to sew and do handwork!!
She will never forget this time spent with you, or the skills you are teaching her :D:D:D
Old 12-05-2010, 06:34 PM
Power Poster

Oh yes, I agree!! You're a great lady for doing that!! :)
Old 12-05-2010, 06:54 PM

Thank you for sharing your talents. This young lady will have many hours of fun for her entire life.
Old 12-05-2010, 06:57 PM
Power Poster

What a wonderful thing to do. I can't wait to see her first quilt.
Old 12-05-2010, 10:09 PM

oh what a great time!