Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Machine for 11 yr-old >

Machine for 11 yr-old

Machine for 11 yr-old

Old 11-29-2015, 01:17 PM
Power Poster

Check the Janomes. I got my niece a Janome 123. My niece was 8 almost 9. I walked her through it along with her grandma. We made her go through the manual from start to finish. This will be her second Christmas and she maintains along with her mother's boyfriend's help. She does a lot of things with it. She gets on You Tube for apparel sewing. She is looking for a used embroidery but not in a hurry unless she can get a good deal. We paid $50.00 on sale price at Hancock's. She and some of her latchkey friends had a fundraiser.
Old 11-29-2015, 01:22 PM

I would recommend a Singer 301A. I have 3 of them. My DGD (8) and DGS (10) love sewing on them. They have been sewing on them for 4-5 years with me nearby. They are learning to thread them right now. When they have learned to thread them, including the bobbin, change the needle and a few other necessities they each will get a machine for their use in their homes.
Attached Thumbnails ruby-sewing-pj-her-doll.jpg  

Last edited by SewExtremeSeams; 11-29-2015 at 01:25 PM.
Old 11-29-2015, 04:03 PM
Power Poster

I also like the idea of a Brother/baby lock/Juki. The lower end brothers are very popular by people who have and use them. I have 3 of them. All a little different. The issue with a vintage machine is that they are not always readily available and unless you have an interest in fixing up a vintage machine you will have to take it someplace. I also think an 11 year old who has been sewing on your machine will hardly appreciate a black headed vintage singer, as sturdy and fine performing as they are.
Old 11-29-2015, 04:10 PM

Most of the vintage machines I've found (and I have many) only needed oil.

I'm always amazed when people can state with assurance what a kid they don't know will or will not like. I have a hard enough time with kids I know well!
Old 11-29-2015, 04:25 PM
Power Poster

Yes of course you are right Manalto. I retract my comment.
Old 11-29-2015, 04:50 PM

I learned to sew I was 8 and learned on my mom's 15-91. The only toy machine I sewed on belonged to a friend - my mother didn't believe in wasting money on a toy. If I were to buy a machine for a child, it would be a machine she is already familiar with, so that she knows how it works and knows how to take care of it already. Also, you said her mother knows nothing of sewing, so it would be best if you are familiar with the machine to help her when she needs it. I don't know if you can find a used machine, and to buy it new would be out of the question, then I would consider a low end Brother with multiple stitches and feet.
Old 11-30-2015, 10:30 PM

My brother from walmart has been an absolute workhorse of a machine. I believe it wouldn be a great entry level machine with a little growth. I think mine has since been replaced with the SQ-9185 but it gets good reviews as well. If you want something a little nicer the PC-420 off amazon is a good buy
Old 11-30-2015, 10:46 PM

Buy a machine which is more up to date. Although the singer old models are sturdy workhorses as her mum doesn't sew she wants one easy to use and correct problems at a distance over the 'phone.

I'd go for a small janome which could be the go to granma machine.
Old 12-01-2015, 03:43 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Manalto View Post
Vintage Singer: 15-91, 201, 301, or 401/403 which has zigzag and decorative stitches.
Vintage Singer 99. or a 404 are very simple and only do straight stitches. They are all metal and won't fall apart on the first project. They are very easy to maintain and parts are still available. Each use common easy to find needles and bobbins. The 99 is small but not as small as a Featherweight and usually much less expensive. The Singer 404 is usually fairly inexpensive and it is light weight but harder to find. They were used in schools when people actually learned how to sew. Those are two of my choices for learning and my DGKs love them. If they hate sewing the machines hold value pretty well unless you over pay.

Last edited by miriam; 12-01-2015 at 03:49 AM.
Old 12-01-2015, 03:58 AM

A real workhorse machine is the older Bernina 830. It is a mechanical machine rather than computer. I had mine for 30 years and it was heavily used. I finally sold it to a friend but still miss it. It never gave me a problem and was simple to use. They can be found on Ebay and Bernina stores. They are all metal construction. Beware of the low cost machines of any brand that are mostly plastic and nylon parts because they warp with heat and can never be repaired properly. If you choose a used or refurbished machine you most often get a lot of feet and attachments which is a big plus. I am amazed at what new feet cost!