Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Machine Applique Method >

Machine Applique Method

Machine Applique Method

Old 08-14-2014, 04:30 AM
Power Poster

I usually use the buttonhole stitch. You have to be careful in securing the ends of your satin stitch because the stitching can come out easily if not.
Old 08-14-2014, 06:30 AM

I do either a blanket stitch or a satin stitch.
Old 08-14-2014, 02:12 PM

I tend to use the blanket stitch for all of my applique'. I like the added visual it gives. Use same color thread or sometimes (especially when doing fall applique'), I like to use variegated thread.
Old 08-14-2014, 04:47 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

There is another option for circles. Face them, then use a ..../\..... stitch to applique to the background with the "...." part of the stitch *just* off the circle and the point of the "/\" *just* onto the circle.

How to face with fusible:
1. Place fabric circle face UP on a surface.
2. Place a light/featherweight one-sided fusible circle (same size as fabric) on the fabric circle with fusible side AGAINST fabric.
3. Sew all the way around the edge of the circle with about 1/8" seam...do NOT leave an opening.
4. Make a slit in the middle of the fusible about 1.5" long.
5. Use this slit to turn the unit right side out.
6. Using your fingers, SLIGHTLY roll the edge so that the fusible is hidden under the circle and finger press the edge.
7. It may be necessary to trim some of the fusible fabric at the slit to help the circle lie flat.
8. When you are sure of your placement on the quilt surface, press the circle into place so the fusible will adhere.
9. Now you can stitch around the edge with a buttonhole/straight/satin/or blind hem stitch (as mentioned above) and have good clean stitches.

Looks like a lot of steps but it's really quite easy after you've done a couple.

Jan in VA
Old 08-14-2014, 05:03 PM

Thanks so much!
Old 08-14-2014, 05:24 PM

Jan, as always, you give the best, most clear directions ever! Thanks for reminding me of the best way to do machine appliqué.
Old 08-14-2014, 05:46 PM

I use a blanket stitch
Old 08-14-2014, 06:24 PM

I just tried the fusible with my mariners compass block. it was very easy and quicker than trying to turn under a 1/4 inch. I am very pleased with the technique.
Old 08-14-2014, 06:25 PM

I use a blanket stitch too. The straight stitching goes on the background fabric just outside of the piece to be appliqued. The tacking stitch goes into the piece to be appliqued. My Janome 6600 has a blanket stitch with a double straight stitch so it makes a thicker line around the edge, which I prefer. I find that it's easiest and neatest to pivot around a curve with the needle down in the tacking stitch.
Old 08-14-2014, 06:38 PM

I generally use a blanket stitch, but have, when I thought it would look better, used a satin stitch. Once in a while I use a zigzag or my favorite decorative stitch the feather stitch. I suggest you practice a lot with different shapes, try different stitches and sizes of the stitch. Mark your samples with the stitch, stitch length and width and even the type of thread you used. If using a satin stitch I use a 60 wt. thread so that there is not a lot of bulk on the bottom of the block.