Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Machine Applique opinions needed please

Hello from snowed in Illinois!

I am starting a quilt that is circles appliqued onto squares. I am using oriental prints. Also, I'm using the fusible applique method. Simple design, just time consuming so far.

My question is: What stitch should I use for the applique? I have used the blanket stitch on the few projects I've done because it shows more. But with the theme being oriental, should i use a stitch that just barely catches the edge of the circles? And if I use a smaller, tighter stitch, will I have to worry about my edges fraying?

Thanks so much for the help.... I can't wait to hear what everyone has to say.

Blog Entries
    If you are using the fusible method, you can use a blind hem stitch that takes 2 or 3 stitches and then makes a small bit into the applique to hold it. If it is a quilt that will be laundered often, I always go with the satin stitch just for my own peace of mind.

Quote Originally Posted by scowlkat
    If you are using the fusible method, you can use a blind hem stitch that takes 2 or 3 stitches and then makes a small bit into the applique to hold it. If it is a quilt that will be laundered often, I always go with the satin stitch just for my own peace of mind.
    Sounds like good advice.

Thanks! Anyone else have an opinion? What about decorative stitches? Or would that be too much? I'm leaning to small blind hem. Or maybe a tiny satin stitch. I will do a sample of each and post today. Maybe some others, too.

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I my experience with fusible the blind hem stitch doesn't hold up to washing very much. You get frayed edges. I know some people like that look, but I never do so I tend to satin stitch.

Blog Entries
    I like the look of decorative stitches on the edges :D
    Depending on the over all look of the quilt, you can sew the stitches up close to the edge, right on the edge, or 1/2 on and 1/2 off... There really aren't any rules, it is more according to the look you are trying to achieve.

I like looser decorative stitches or the applique stitch better than satin stitching, it keeps the fabric/quilt softer feeling JMHO :D:D:D

i am sure it will be great no matter what