Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
machine applique >

machine applique

machine applique

Old 10-08-2011, 06:34 AM

If I want my applique to stand out I will put very thin batting and then tear away stablizer and stitch around this and then pull stablizer away and trim away batting. When quilting I outline around all applique and you get a very nice look. It makes your applique pop out just a little bit.
Old 10-08-2011, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
use a lightweight fusable- like steam a seam lite- or heat n bond light- the heavier ones are not made to be sewn- and will gum up your needle-
the fusable should be enough stablizer-
any stitch you like the look of can be used- some people just straight stitch just inside (i don't have too good of luck with that one) a blanket stitch is good- so is a small zig-zag-
some people who have decorative stitches on their machines use one of them...a satin stitch is a heavier stitch- will give definite (definition) to each piece- so make a little practice block- and try out different stitches around a circle- or some curved shape- and see what you like- they are all fine to use
and just a personal preference.

I machine applique all of the time, but I use a stabalizer under my applique piece. If I don't, the block gets puckery around the figure I am working on.